Indium grey LR7H color match.

I've just had some bumpers sprayed.. they've come out a lot lighter than the original body work. The company I've used are adament that they're right and the correct paint was used.. any advice on what's happening here ? Or have they just messed up plain and simple ?

Hi, it does look lighter in photo. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy repaired a tiguan. He had wings and bonnet painted at the same time but when fitted they looked like different shades.
He said it was down to the way the wings were hung up vertically when sprayed and the metallics in the paint laid down differently?
I have no idea if this is correct but it might be why your bumper looks slightly off??
I am sure somebody will be along shortly with more knowledge than me.

Hi, it does look lighter in photo. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy repaired a tiguan. He had wings and bonnet painted at the same time but when fitted they looked like different shades.
He said it was down to the way the wings were hung up vertically when sprayed and the metallics in the paint laid down differently?
I have no idea if this is correct but it might be why your bumper looks slightly off??
I am sure somebody will be along shortly with more knowledge than me.
I thought this at first, I looked at every angle and from some it's close but from other looks way off..
Just don't know weather too accept it or have it resprayed somewhere else and hope it's a better match.

Finding a decent body shop is a nightmare , I’ve had the same issues. It does look a lot lighter in the photos, I couldn’t live with that either . I feel your pain

Finding a decent body shop is a nightmare , I’ve had the same issues. It does look a lot lighter in the photos, I couldn’t live with that either . I feel your pain
The company I bought the bumpers from painted them as currently have textured. The finish they've done is pretty good.. just the wrong color ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also Im no sprayer so I don't know wether this would make a difference but I painted some stuff myself.. door handles & numberplate trim & they've come out perfect.. I used a black primer. Would this make a difference apposed to a light primer on end result ?

Ps sorry if this sounds stupid ☺️

I am guessing you have sent the company detailed pictures?
I would hope the company that sold you the bumpers wouldn't be happy with the match.
If it was me i would visit a local body shop and get their opinon.
A local company to me advertises as being able to colour match perfectly with any colour so I think sometimes even with the correct code it will need a tweek. I wonder if different branded paints than factory create these shade issues......again I am no expert but just my thoughts.
Hope you get it sorted

You do find plastics are abit off because of the static and angles of light, but that is just the wrong shade that has been used. I would take it back and ask them to get the colour chips out and a spectro cam if they have got one.

Yeah my advice to you.. go back to body shop . They should know exactly what primer, main coat and lacquer etc was applied, all coded etc ... The body shop I use only uses one specific paint supplier. That way easily traceable. Sure if finish etc is good then maybe another application or too coat may be ok... (Caveat I'm not expert but my van has had a lot of paint... Def won't rust!)

I spray cars for a living. That colour match to me is unacceptable. If I were doing that job, I would try other colours variants until I found one that was acceptable. Sometimes you get a colour that really gives you grief. In those cases, I would blend the panels to match.
I am fortunate that I have the use of a colour matching spectrometer that makes colour matching a breeze.

We are a Volkswagen approved accident repairer, along with Mercedes, BMW and many others.
There is a known issue of Plastics and Metal paint. Even if painted at the same time, out of the same mix and air pressure, the dried/baked results can differ. This is because of a number of reasons. When painting metal and plastic, the drying rate is different and the flakes or pearlescent lie down differently causing this effect. Again most basecoats (manufacturer specification) are waterbased so again the drying rate affects the final result. Angles of panels can convince you the colour is wrong where as it's how the light is reflected. We have had hundreds of conversations with our customers so we do a few things.

1: Always take images of the unrepaired bumpers or plastics, so when we are questioned we can show the colour difference before we do the repair.
2: Walk around the car with the customer before we start any work and point out the difference shades of plastic and metal.
3: We have documentation from the paint suppliers explaining this phenominom.

I'm not saying your repair is in this category and it does look light, but this is a well known problem throughout the industry.

Look around some carparks at different vehicles, not necessarily VW, reds, blues, silvers, whites, and you'll see the problem everywhere, especially on new vehicles from the factory.

Back