Im new hello... Engine advise 204 2litre?

an02ewc

Hi guys. I have wanted a t6 for years now and finally in a place to buy the 'right' one. Question I have is I'm a bit of a plonker when it comes to the engines in t6s. I'm looking at a 2litre 204bhp bi turbo.

Questions I have

I have read about the EGR issues. Is this just on the 1.8 models?

Is the 2.0 bi turbo a safe bet or is there a better medium like a 150bhp good compromise on power/ mpg?

I just don't want to buy the wrong one after listing after one so long. I'm going to Harewood house in a few weeks to the vw fest and looking to be an active member so any help to get me on the right path appreciate just don't want a headache engine if there are bullet proof versions to go for!!

Last edited:
Hi guys. I have wanted a t6 for years now and finally in a place to buy the 'right' one. Question I have is I'm a bit of a plonker when it comes to the engines in t6s. I'm looking at a 2litre 204bhp bi turbo.

Questions I have

I have read about the EGR issues. Is this just on the 1.8 models?

Is the 2.0 bi turbo a safe bet or is there a better medium like a 150bhp good compromise on power/ mpg?

I just don't want to buy the wrong one after listing after one so long. I'm going to Harewood house in a few weeks to the vw fest and looking to be an active member so any help to get me on the right path appreciate just don't want a headache engine if there are bullet proof versions to go for!!
There are no 1.8 models, maybe you mean 180ps? If so the 180ps (CFCA) engine is problematic unless precautions are taken, this is well documented in the Forum.
I have one and it’s been without problems since 2016 because I took precautions early on and I monitor the oil quality, other than the EGR it’s a solid bi-turbo engine.
The 204ps is more highly tuned than the 150ps and it seems this may well be causing some reliability issues.
You can’t have a racehorse without a direct debit at the vets

Lol... thanks for the reply. I'm not that fussed for the extra poke to be honest and seems the 150 is the better engine (maybe I have that wrong) just a van in the colour/spec i want has come up for sale but it's the 204.... and think the potential headaches would make me worry too much. So does the 150 have no EGR concerns? Sounds like the 180 is a defo stay clear then? Just trying to gwt best advise on which engine is the safest bet.

I would not define 204hp horse race engine. Vw on other applications gets off the same engine 270hp and tuners well exceed 300hp.
The 204 is not far from my 150 remapped, dyno showed 196hp and 420nm of torque.
The remapped 150 worked hard and the turbo sure is working the hardest. The 204 seems to move the heavy Transporter like it was a smaller car, with dsg shifting at 1800 even when some good acceleration is needed. However if something goes wrong with the turbo, it’s a double bill. Egr related issues are common on the 150hp as well.
I have seen twin turbo under the transporter with over 400k miles (airport shuttle), however I don’t know what maintenance went through. I have also seen a 150hp with 500k miles on it and the driver said it was on its original DSG box and engine. Who knows the truth? Than my driveshaft went tits up at 57k miles. Whatever you buy be sure there is a good and detailed service history, get a good extended warranty and buy the all in plan at main dealer.

Thanks for the reply. Feel like as I'm not wanting the bi turbo a safer bet is to look for a 150 dsg as the dsg was the real want over the extra horsepower. I'm going to loose days of my life reading through his forum!!

Thanks for the reply. Feel like as I'm not wanting the bi turbo a safer bet is to look for a 150 dsg as the dsg was the real want over the extra horsepower. I'm going to loose days of my life reading through his forum!!
Haha - those days will merge into weeks and into months.

Back