How to polish quickly?

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
The manual says that the paintwork needs a polish a couple of times a year for it to function as a paint protection. I have bought some autogym which i understand is of the hard wax type. My question is can anyone suggest some kind of mechanical polishing aid, just so that i can get the job done quickly. I don't really know about polishing, but I'm going to try and do what the manual says, just for the protection it says the paint needs.

You can buy a 12v polisher from somewhere like Halfords, but personally I don't rate them, much prefer to do it by hand. Autoglym is a good product and fast to use. I use the super resin polish and extra gloss protection.

I'm using Soft99 dark gloss at the moment especially as it is very easy to use, personal favourite is Wolfgang's estate wax very shiny and expensive but good value , all poorboys is good, easy to use and reasonable prices, look on CYR site for samples or Motorgeek for full.

There is no such thing as polish quickly, as you will miss bits. Just make sure the vehicle is cool to touch and parked in the shade. The more often it's done the easier it is to do.
It normally takes me a couple of hours or so to do mine, but I'm a little OCD. And that's without washing it:whistle:

Full wash and polish is 6hrs for me.. inc claybar

Well, started at 1400 and finished at 1945 not a bad day of polishing.. wife had enough tho..:rolleyes:
"I don't know anyone or heard of anyone spending so long polishing a bloody work van"..

I pointed her to the detailing post..lol

Realistically it's a whole day paint correcting after half a day decontaminating. The next day sealing. Luckily this should only need doing every few years.

Just had a go at full paint correction today . Managed to do the bonnet and tailgate . Bought a dual action polisher and two stage polish from autobrite at Stoke . Went on a half day paint correction course which was very helpful .
Pretty straight forward and made a hell of a differance to my paint . Washed , clay barred , two stage pollish and waxed .
Going to do one side next weekend . A good three days to correct a full van but it's going to be worth it .
Guys don't get mistaken between polish and wax , sealant protection . Polish is what you use to get the paint to shine and is usually abrasive so to remove paint blemishes , swirl marks ect . Wax or sealant is then applied to protect your polished surface . Trying to polish a van by hand will take for ever particulaly if you've got swirl marks to remove . VW paint , clear coat is extreamly hard and by using a machine to polish the clear coat will make life a whole lot easier .
Do be put off if you've not used a machine polisher and worried about ruining your pride and joys paint work as the dual action polishers is easy to use and if you follow some simple steps your not going to do any damage .
I am by no means an expert but I am now pretty confident about the world of detailing .
Any guys in the north west want any advice or demonstrations I would be glad offer advise .

@Chriswhit
What products did you use mate?
Have always done it by hand for the reasons you mentioned, dont want to add any unsightly marks to the OK paintwork.

I find the roof the hardest to get right, rainspots, bird mess, etc etc.. and worst of all arm ache..

Be great to say to the Mrs that polishing can be done in half the time..

@Chriswhit
What products did you use mate?
Have always done it by hand for the reasons you mentioned, dont want to add any unsightly marks to the OK paintwork.

I find the roof the hardest to get right, rainspots, bird mess, etc etc.. and worst of all arm ache..

Be great to say to the Mrs that polishing can be done in half the time..
I'll take a few pics of the polisher and products tomorrow . Machine polishing won't add swirl marks but remove them .
Evan on new vans you'll be able to see the factory polishing marks especially on the rear top side panels on a combi when the direct sun light shining on it. Follow some easy steps and you'll soon be confident .
The best piece of advice that was given to me is even with the best products if your not using the correct technique you'll find it hard to correct any paint work .

I have been thinking about this. What i am going to try is to get a big big sponge and wrap it in polishing cloth so i will have a polisher slightly less than A4 size. Then I will just pour on loads of autogym hard sealant polish and slap it on and not muck about. One hour max. Big big big. I think we have all got the idea that polishing is ment to be an ordeal which we do with a cotton bud. At the factory i think they will polish a van in about five minutes.

I will give it a good wash and rinse in the early morning or the evening before, and then polish it in the afternoon, and when it is not hot and also in the shade if it is sunny.

The manual says it is important for the paint to be able to do it's job that it is sealed every six months. I can't be mucking around at that rate. So i am just going to massive the job up so that a panel can be done in a few quick wipes.

I will try this approach and if it doesn't work then i will try something else. I do feel that the paint has a tough job to do. And that it does need regular feeding. Looking good, whilst important and desirable, is part of it, but the resealing is the main thing, so that water forms into little balls and runs off.

I would suggest if you are in a hurry then get the autoglym Aqua wax. You don't have to wait for the vehicle to dry and it affords the same protection as regular wax, but if something is worth doing then do it right and spend some time on it!

I wouldn't be using autoglm , it is good stuff but hasn't changed for many years. But paints have. Get yourself to a detail shop and get some advice on what and how to use it.

Buggirl, that doesn't make sense......Aqua wax! Water and wax mixing together. That would be to seal water in!

Back