How to polish quickly?

Just had a go at full paint correction today . Managed to do the bonnet and tailgate . Bought a dual action polisher and two stage polish from autobrite at Stoke . Went on a half day paint correction course which was very helpful .
Pretty straight forward and made a hell of a differance to my paint . Washed , clay barred , two stage pollish and waxed .
Going to do one side next weekend . A good three days to correct a full van but it's going to be worth it .
Guys don't get mistaken between polish and wax , sealant protection . Polish is what you use to get the paint to shine and is usually abrasive so to remove paint blemishes , swirl marks ect . Wax or sealant is then applied to protect your polished surface . Trying to polish a van by hand will take for ever particulaly if you've got swirl marks to remove . VW paint , clear coat is extreamly hard and by using a machine to polish the clear coat will make life a whole lot easier .
Do be put off if you've not used a machine polisher and worried about ruining your pride and joys paint work as the dual action polishers is easy to use and if you follow some simple steps your not going to do any damage .
I am by no means an expert but I am now pretty confident about the world of detailing .
Any guys in the north west want any advice or demonstrations I would be glad offer advise .

Lot of work that especially when you drive off down the road and a stone fly's then takes a big chip out of all your hard work. You would get on well with a mate of mine at work, he is really anal over it long as the rain stays off I'm happy :)

Lot of work that especially when you drive off down the road and a stone fly's then takes a big chip out of all your hard work. You would get on well with a mate of mine at work, he is really anal over it long as the rain stays off I'm happy :)
Roadrunner Wouldn't it be great for it not to rain much in this country , your wright about stone chips though , my bonnet looks like its been shot by a machine gun , the state of our roads are disgraceful never known them to be this bad .

Just had a go at full paint correction today . Managed to do the bonnet and tailgate . Bought a dual action polisher and two stage polish from autobrite at Stoke . Went on a half day paint correction course which was very helpful .
Pretty straight forward and made a hell of a differance to my paint . Washed , clay barred , two stage pollish and waxed .
Going to do one side next weekend . A good three days to correct a full van but it's going to be worth it .
Guys don't get mistaken between polish and wax , sealant protection . Polish is what you use to get the paint to shine and is usually abrasive so to remove paint blemishes , swirl marks ect . Wax or sealant is then applied to protect your polished surface . Trying to polish a van by hand will take for ever particulaly if you've got swirl marks to remove . VW paint , clear coat is extreamly hard and by using a machine to polish the clear coat will make life a whole lot easier .
Do be put off if you've not used a machine polisher and worried about ruining your pride and joys paint work as the dual action polishers is easy to use and if you follow some simple steps your not going to do any damage .
I am by no means an expert but I am now pretty confident about the world of detailing .
Any guys in the north west want any advice or demonstrations I would be glad offer advise .

Interesting; I've been toying with the idea to get rid of the scratches and scuffs that seem to be part of rural life but slightly nervous.

Keen to hear what kit you used.
I've heard it's good to practise on a old car panel from a scrappie but I guess that would be old paint?!

Roadrunner Wouldn't it be great for it not to rain much in this country , your wright about stone chips though , my bonnet looks like its been shot by a machine gun , the state of our roads are disgraceful never known them to be this bad .

The roads in places are bad, it is true. But we are living through some weird age. Almost hourly you couldn't make it up. And this stuff is coming at us like them stone chips. So it seems there is a new attitude towards things, to get to the truth of the matter. It is the era of fake news and u-turns, etc. Thus in everything people now check for themselves and test the current thinking. So should polishing be a long labour of love or can it be a quick job, too?

Interesting; I've been toying with the idea to get rid of the scratches and scuffs that seem to be part of rural life but slightly nervous.

I've heard it's good to practise on a old car panel from a scrappie but I guess that would be old paint?!

I reckon the big worry is that you use something and do a damn good thorough job, only to find that you have done bad because of using a compound that is actually an abrasive or something. A few dos and a top layer of paint has gone, a few more dos and there is hardly any protection left. Maybe better to live with a scratch or two. I just don't know enough to say, but i reckon it could be easy to do damage.

It all depends on who your doing it all for? Me, so long as my pride and joy looks clean and tidy, and the paint is good, I'm happy.. If I get a scuff I've got topcoat to polish it out with hopefully without it going into the base coat if I'm lucky.. If I remove every blemish, then I've taken protection away from the base coat. Also glass smooth will chip easier, as the light orange peel gives the surface some added strength which is a by product. So yes any unsightly blemishes I'll get shot of, but I drive mine and don't show it!

Hi @Polzeylad Here's a list of gear used , I use Autobrite direct at Stoke . The guys there are very helpful and Kev who is there head detailer is very helpful and is always willing to answer any questions .
After a good clean and snow foam I clay barred the panel using a fine grade clay and berry blast lube diluted 5:1 with water .
I then used a DA-21mm dual action polishing machine with a green correct it 5" pad and Fine enrich correction polish .
Finally finished off with a 5" black correct it foam pad using final finishing glaze polish.
If your clear coat is very badly marked you may need to use heavy cut restore correction polish first but if you've looked after your paint a two stage correction should be ok . I then applied a layer of Abyss hellshine synthetic paint sealant using a foam applicator .
I will then use Protect 32 as a detailer after every other wash to keep the protection up .
This should protect your paint for up to 12 months so I am told .
Don't be nervous as you'll soon get the Knack of it , just follow some simple steps and you'll be sorted.

@Polzeylad give us a call if you want any advise , if you follow some basic steps you can't go wrong , I found it a lot easier than I first expected .
Cheers Chris.
A bit of wife persuasion needed but I'm sure I'll get there.
I'll ask this carefully as it seemed to cause offence to a lunatic detailer but... do you have a paint thickness gauge?

I am telling you it works.
It sure does, I have used the Autoglym aqua wax many a time when I don't have sufficient time to do a full hands on polish. And it has a really nice smell to it as well when you apply it.

I am telling you it works.

It sure does, I have used the Autoglym aqua wax many a time when I don't have sufficient time to do a full hands on polish. And it has a really nice smell to it as well when you apply it.

Another :thumbsup: for Autoglym Aqua Wax, use it after washing when I haven't got time for a full polish and proper wax. Great stuff, stops water marks, adds a decent shine and causes water to bead off nicely too. It can also be used on side windows (but not your windscreen), really fast and easy to use.

Cheers Chris.
I'll ask this carefully as it seemed to cause offence to a lunatic detailer but... do you have a paint thickness gauge?

Be fair he probably does not know what a paint thickness gauge is or heard of one which shows he has not got a clue what he is doing.
PS I had to google it to find out what it was

Cheers Chris.
Sorry pal I don't have a paint thickness gauge , I borrowed one from a mates body shop .

Back