How much work can an alternator manage at once?

hunta

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Sorry, electrix is funny magic as far as I'm concerned so forgive the stupid questions.

Let's say I start a journey with both starter battery and leisure battery in a 'typical' good state - not full, but not caned. Let's say I've also got a Dometic compressor fridge plugged in to the 12v as well as a portable battery charging from another 12v socket.

Will the alternator be able to produce power at a high enough rate to deal with everything at once, or does it charge the starter, then the leisure battery for instance? If so what effect do the other appliances have?

Your alternator will handle it.
Here’s some good reading on 12V vehicle electrical systems.

Alternators are capable of producing large currents, far in excess of anything a couple cigs sockets can pull from the system
Theres a few different types fitted to T6s dependant on spec and factory options chosen but they are all rated over 100 amps, your fridge will pull anywhere from 1 to 10 amps depending what type of fridge it is and also similar for 12v outlets, they cant go much higher

Thanks for the responses. I'm afraid I mean it when I say I don't get this stuff though... Is the short answer that they'll all get charged at once as fast as possible? Or if I've got all that stuff plugged in am I slowing down the charging of the important stuff (starter and leisure batteries)?

Thanks for the responses. I'm afraid I mean it when I say I don't get this stuff though... Is the short answer that they'll all get charged at once as fast as possible? Or if I've got all that stuff plugged in am I slowing down the charging of the important stuff (starter and leisure batteries)?
It’s works, don’t worry about it.
If you want to learn more you’ll need to study, I posted a good link to some basics earlier.

Last edited:
Back