How Easy To Go Black

Twoguns

T6 Guru
After some advice on going Black. Is it really a case of, "Once you’ve gone Black there’s no going back" or is it never again?
What I mean is, what’s it like living with black wheels and bars etc.?
I’ve got an indium Grey Kombi coming soon (hopefully) and thinking of going all black, wheels, bars, spoilers and having owned a black car in the past but never black wheels or bars I know you can never keep black looking clean. Is this the same with wheels and bars?

The reason why I ask is due to having a back operation a few years ago and it still not being 100% I don’t want to be cleaning them every 5 mins in order to keep them looking good.
Also when you have new tyres is it easy to get a garage to use black balancing weights so they don’t stick out too much.
Is there much difference between gloss and matt black?
This may seem pretty petty but once you’ve got a knackered back you see things in a different light.

Go black, matt black. Had silver 20" on T5, started off cleaning them every week, as you do, proper pain in the arse, but only ever looked clean for a couple of days. Now I have matt black sportlines, what a difference. Clean them every couple of weeks as they start to look a tad brownish from the brake dust, but so much better than silver. Apparently some garages have black if you ask, mine are silver but you can only notice them if you get on your knees and have a good nosey.

@DaveBos I was/am thinking of the 5 spoke Matt Black sportline T5 ones with 30MM lowered from dealer until they quoted me, Wheels £1440 inc Vat and tyres, £450 inc Vat for Side Bars and £528 inc Vat for the lowering. Does this seem steep to you?

I will be going black with my add ons and satin black rims look good in my view, a good compromise between gloss and matt also easier to keep clean . they looks good against the white i think.

i am going to ask the dealer to price on angled matt black side bars, white rear tailgate spoiler and fitted drl in front grill. That will be interesting although vw should do them foc for the time i have waited !

I paid £640 for the black five spoke sportline wheels from Banwy, delivered , £530 for tyres and fitting (Hankook, load rated to 103). Lowering cost between £100 and £200 for fitting plus the springs. Not sure on the side bars, but your probably paying for a few hours fitting.

Twoguns, have a look at vanstyle, for lowering and side bars, which if your prepared to travel to, will all be fitted for free......

@Pedro was looking into place's like vanstyle as they are cheaper but am worried about warranties. As I've never modified a vehicle before I'm unsure and it would seem a lot of us are also unsure of whether or not these aftermarket mods affect warranty.

Nice, really like the angled and thought they only came in silver so ill check them out. Have you seen them yourself?

I have not seen then yet but i will be taking a look.

They do have angled side bars on van-style site but not listing them in black. There will be no warranty problems with aftermarket side bars just need it keep your insurance aware of any mods.

I have not seen then yet but i will be taking a look.

They do have angled side bars on van-style site but not listing them in black. There will be no warranty problems with aftermarket side bars just need it keep your insurance aware of any mods.

I wasn't worried about side bars affecting Warranty it was more the Suspension and wheels. My personal view is that I don't think it should as long as they are the same parts as what VW use but my view doesn't count and you can see some business using any excuse to get out of paying up.

The only offerings from VW in terms of lowering are 30mm eibach springs AFAIK

Dont think you will have warranty problems if you have the it all fitted professionally. i have seen new t6 for sale at my dealer with 20" on the standard suspension and they said they have full warranty cover. Not bothered about warranty unless its serious issue anyway really. If you have a engine fault thats not any fault of the wheels but i suppose a gearbox fault could be blamed on oversized wheels . All down to your own choice in the end i suppose. We all have different ideas ;)

I take it from the research I’ve done that the 30mm eibach springs they offer are good. I don't want to get it as low as possible; I want a good balance of ride, comfort and looks. So planned on 30mm lowering and 18" wheels just like the factory Sportline (If it's good enough for them then its good enough for me)
Thanks for the help so far guys, it's much appreciated.

Thats exactly what im doing, Eibach 30mm with T6 sportline wheels which i got today, i can get you the wheels for around £810 delivered (mainland UK) if thats any good and can get a price on genuine springs for as well if you want ? reckon it will be around £1100 for both delivered but will need to double check

Thats a good price on the T6 sportlines £786 inc vat & delivery, the joys of purchasing power i suppose

Good find @DaveBos

@Pauly have you gone for the T5 five spoke Matt black alloys or the new T6 ones? Which ever ones you have please put some pictures up when on your van.
If anybody else who has some pictures of an Indium Grey T6 with the T5 black five spokes I would appreciate it if you could put some pictures on. Thanks again.

Back