Holes/grille section in rear panel

Hi Folks,

I'm about to do new panels and carpet them in the back of my kombi, but wanted the panels to be full height (i.e. extend past that weird gap at the bottom at the rear).

But, I'm also assuming that there must be a reason that it's there and I just can't work out what it is.

So...

Is there a reason the ply can't run all the way to the floor in the back? (I'd assumed its because most panels are 1220mm high).

and

The holes that make a grille like pattern, why are they there and can I get rid of them or carpet over them on the new panel?

Many thanks

The holes are slam vents so that when you close the tailgate there's somewhere for the air to escape
You can carpet over them, when I had ply panels made I asked for the holes to be drilled in as most companies don't supply with holes so tailgate may not close properly

Hi Folks,

I'm about to do new panels and carpet them in the back of my kombi, but wanted the panels to be full height (i.e. extend past that weird gap at the bottom at the rear).

But, I'm also assuming that there must be a reason that it's there and I just can't work out what it is.

So...

Is there a reason the ply can't run all the way to the floor in the back? (I'd assumed its because most panels are 1220mm high).

and

The holes that make a grille like pattern, why are they there and can I get rid of them or carpet over them on the new panel?

Many thanks
The holes are there to allow airflow to prevent pressure build up when shutting doors tailgate etc.

I put ply panels up without these holes (as I would guess 99.9% of people do) and I couldnt tell any difference. If you carpet over the holes you run the risk of the carpet getting a dirty pattern where the holes are.

There is a plastic moulding each side under the rear bumper at the bottom of the D pillars. It has multiple rubber flaps that allow one way air flow out of the van. I assume these flaps also prevent water spray getting inside the van.
I had thought about using this route to provide forced ventilation with a small fan on a periodic timer. This would reduce condensation in the rear of the van when sleeping, the air exhausting through the slightly opened cab windows.
So far I haven’t gone any further than the pondering stage.

Very nice. Did you do the panels yourself or get them ready done? I've a LWB so not sure how full length I can get from a 2.4 x 1.2 sheet.

Very nice. Did you do the panels yourself or get them ready done? I've a LWB so not sure how full length I can get from a 2.4 x 1.2 sheet.
Thanks, I bought the panels pre cut. Although if I were doing it again I would probably do them myself.
The certainly are available pre cut in LWB.

Cheers

Thanks, I bought the panels pre cut. Although if I were doing it again I would probably do them myself.
The certainly are available pre cut in LWB.

Cheers
Hi, I'm making new full height ply panels over the rear wheel arch on my T6 and wanted to use the existing van holes and mount the new panels using longer panel clips. However, because I don't have an existing panel as a template it's difficult to mark where the holes should be drilled.

Apart from painstakingly measuring each hole individually, does any have any tips for locating the holes and marking the ply panels.

Appreciate any help or suggestions

Cam

Hi, I'm making new full height ply panels over the rear wheel arch on my T6 and wanted to use the existing van holes and mount the new panels using longer panel clips. However, because I don't have an existing panel as a template it's difficult to mark where the holes should be drilled.

Apart from painstakingly measuring each hole individually, does any have any tips for locating the holes and marking the ply panels.

Appreciate any help or suggestions

Cam
Fit something in the body holes with a point facing towards the panel and place the panel against them so it leaves a mark for drilling.

I covered the standard panels and cut out the carpet for the oval holes (one each side) in the steel panels- these are hidden in my van and serve well as slam vents!D4966A14-5475-4C19-90AE-A3FCA3CB208A.jpeg4E7D8292-7A15-4409-8FF3-C78B71ACD6E9.jpeg

I put a round louvre vent in mine, push fit into a matching circular cutout. It doubles as a removable panel to access a fusebox at the back of the van.

Back