Hmm, this could be a problem for ‘Van’ owners

Grim Reaper

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend

If it includes any vehicle that has LGV or ‘Van’ in the description on the V5 then this may put an end to converted campervan travel in the EU.

Ooh, is this another one of those Brexit dividends?
You will not need a goods vehicle operator licence if any of these apply:

• you only use your vehicles in the UK
  • you are transporting goods on a non-commercial basis (not for ‘hire or reward’)
So campervan is OK, which is a little strawberry in the sh*t sandwich of Brexit.

Transport goods in and out of the UK using vans or car and trailers from 21 May 2022
How is this because of Brexit, if it's a pan european rule we would have had to follow it if we were inside the EU anyway?

You need this license for goods vehicles travelling into or out of the EU.
If you read the wording on any of the EU government websites it's an O Licence (the same as needed for over 3.5ton in the UK and EU. It's not becasue of Brexit, it applies to all commercial vehicle operators.

From the Irish Government;

"From 21 May 2022 the EU rules on operator licensing will change. From that date if you are operating a light goods vehicle and/ or trailer between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes in an EU member state you will need to have a goods vehicle operator’s licence. "

So nothing to do with Brexit.

There also a lot of discussion on the lotus forum I read. I don't see how we are affected unless it's for commercial use. I tow my trailer with my race car on over to Europe, and as long as I'm not being paid or rewarded, its ok. I think I may need a sticker on the drivers doors saying "Not for hire or reward", just to be safe.

I doubt this will affect us 'non- commercial van with side windows' camper conversion owners. However, just because this particular rule has nothing too do with Brexit. it doesn't mean it hasn't turned into the aforementioned sh1t sandwich - speaking personally, even 5 and a bit years after the vote, I still haven't seen a single point in it's favour. That said, as evidenced by the record numbers of small boate making it across the channel recently, at least we've now got back control of our borders and Johnson is being shown to be the fat lying upper class tw4t that a lot of us thought he was all along. I guess that's me banned and this post deleted but hey ho and merry christmas everybody.

If you read the wording on any of the EU government websites it's an O Licence (the same as needed for over 3.5ton in the UK and EU. It's not becasue of Brexit, it applies to all commercial vehicle operators.

From the Irish Government;

"From 21 May 2022 the EU rules on operator licensing will change. From that date if you are operating a light goods vehicle and/ or trailer between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes in an EU member state you will need to have a goods vehicle operator’s licence. "

So nothing to do with Brexit.
Is that quote not from Northern Ireland?

It's absolutely because of Brexit, these are the rules for non EU operators travelling into and out of the EU.

@Grim Reaper. I had a minor panic attack when I first glanced at your post but on further reading, I don't think most of us will have a lot to worry about, at least I hope not anyway!
@Bluesman. I suspect you're sailing a bit close to the forum rules wind there but well said anyway, even if it was a bit 'fattist'.

Is that quote not from Northern Ireland?

It's absolutely because of Brexit, these are the rules for non EU operators travelling into and out of the EU

Article from 2018, clearly explains its a change to EU legislation effecting all commerical opertors inside europe, but aimed at eastern European states that are dodging EU rules for O licences by claiming they are under the current weight limit for an O Licence (which for larger vehicles has been around for decades).

It also clearly states, that even thought (at that time) we were leaving the EU we may still have to comply to cross the borders.

So in or out it is nothing to do with Brexit. It is also not news (the definition of news requiring the information to be new).

Last edited:
This is just more hype from a half read headline. A similar thing happened with trailers a couple of years ago. If you tow a trailer in the EU for COMMERCIAL gain, then it has to be registered & MOT’d. A load of folks in the boating world got their knickers in a twist thinking it would apply to them because:-

A, they blamed Brexit.
B, they read the headline & not the detail.

It turned out to be an EU ruling and bugger all to to with Brexit. In-fact had it not been for Brexit, we in the UK would have faced much more onerous rules for trailers here in the UK. The same applies to campers, it’s very difficult if not impossible to legally do a self conversion camper within the EU.

@Grim Reaper. I had a minor panic attack when I first glanced at your post but on further reading, I don't think most of us will have a lot to worry about, at least I hope not anyway!
@Bluesman. I suspect you're sailing a bit close to the forum rules wind there but well said anyway, even if it was a bit 'fattist'.
I guess his much publicised personal trainer isn’t getting much repeat business.

on my V5 it says MOTORHOME and not campervan which it is ☺ and who wants to go to the EU with such lovely countryside here in the UK.

Back