Help with mods to new van

Ben1981

Hi, recently acquired and t6 kombi, bought for work and need for additional space for 3rd child, previously owned Mazda bongo as love camping.

so trying to work out what I want and need someone to tell/confirm what I should do so with little regrets

Thinking !!!
I have a trailer and need to put in tow bar, bikes to go on trailer ???

Driving home, very noisy so need sound deadening and carpetening

Maybe 230v socket in back ??

Curtains ???

Can’t work our best places to buy thing from/ if to do myself etc etc

just bought some seat covers from vee dub and see some deadening kit from kiravans but now thinking...

buy all this myself and struggle to fit ? or pay someone who does this day in and day out, pay the money and get a better job

anyone with some good advise ??

I’m based near Hampton court if someone local knows there stuff and wants to earn some ££££ to help

Spend some time working out what facilities you want, as it could be expensive to undo.
Your best bet is to get to a show to see what others have done, but of course that’s out of the question for a bit.
I guess you don’t want a full camper conversion, so perhaps ask a more specific question here about what others have done who were in the same position.

Pete

Hello and welcome!

As above - spend in haste repent at leisure!

If you still need to tow a trailer then have a look at a tailgate/door mounted bike carrier - we have a VW one which can carry 4 bikes and easily clears our (boat) trailer.

As for the conversion, a lot will come down to your budget and how far you want to go - most of us on here will happily help you flex your outlay well beyond your original budget by pointing out things you didn't know you "needed" ;):).

Enjoy!

Thanks for your comments, so hard to decide but think your right, sit back and try to see what others have done, I was going to get the bike rack done but put off as have rear spoiler and using the van as a trader most of the time, looking at it on the drive and want to get things done with all this time on my hands :)

not really planning a full conversion for above reason but like the sound of doing a few bits to make it nicer for us when not a work vehicle (weekends and camping time)

also as I was in a camper before we had a drive away awning which was great, but now this is won’t be converted I would have a large air tent, again a massive minefield as really need to see them and not possible at moment - ideally one with pods rather than tunnel so kids sleep in different section, anyone got something similar they would recommend ??

There’s nothin stopping you having another drive-away awning. The rail for this can fit in the roof rack slot and be invisible, and is compatible with roof rails.

Pete

With now 3 kids I don’t think the drive away awnings are going to be big enough, maybe later on if I put in a pop up roof, like the idea of being able to jump in van and go out for day/shops without the hassle of taking down beds and things

anyone know of local fitters near me who can advise and do the bits I want to get done?
Thanks for everyone’s Input so far

Ben,

Chatting with owners/looking at their vans at meets and going to shows is the best way to research, however, current climate these are not going to happen for a while. The next best thing is reading owners build threads on the forum - there are loads of amazing projects ranging from basic/functional to aesthetically stunning.

You will also find we are a friendly and helpful bunch (best forum I frequent!).

As said before work out how you will use it both for work and pleasure. We have two kids (12&14) and like camping but SWMBO and I hate sleeping on the floor on airbeds. My plan is to make a bed that uses the Kombi seats laid flat but other than that not much else. We tend to camp with electric hookup so dont need fancy electrics in the van. Also looking to fit an awning rail and just have a basic sun canopy.

The search functionality on the forum is pretty good - I always have a look for something first before posting a new thread. You can always resurrect an old thread if your query isn't quite covered.

Good Luck!

Ian

IMO you are wasting your time and theirs going to a converter until you know exactly what you want, you will come away more confused and possibly agree to something you don't need in the end.. I have recently put a deposit on a van and when this virus stuff is over will be picking it up to convert into a day van. I previously had a T2 with a pop top and now its just me and the missus I know I can live with out one but when we had little kids it was great. As they got older the drive away awning became more useful. I've been on this forum on and off for a year reading posts, build threads, advice, horror stories, and looking at loads of pics. It has helped focus me into exactly what I plan to do and where I need to compromise to save money as well as understand things like ad blue warnings, smart alternators etc etc which are new to me. There's some great advice on how to insulate, carpet, install leisure equipment and trusted suppliers. There's also divided opinion on many things as everyone has their own views ranging from colour, wheels, lowering, headlights, LEDs etc. The one piece of advice is the search function is invaluable, no forum members like people asking the same questions over and over, instead they like novel questions, experiences and lots of pictures. If owing a T2 is anything to go by owning a van needs deep pockets so the more you can do yourself the more you will save (unless you balls it up!!) - just some thoughts from another newbe

My opinion......you will get many different opinions!
1. Prove the van before investing more money and time, make sure you haven’t acquired a ’lemon’.
2. While proving the van spend your spare time looking at the options and equipment available for conversions.
3. Decide if you are going to keep the van ‘forever’ (until Diesels are taken off the road).
4. If you reckon you might sell it at some point will your practical skillset add value to the van or reduce it?
5. If going down the professional conversion route visit as many converters as possible based on recommendations. Visits without appointment maybe discouraged but turning up on the doorstep unannounced gives a real insight into how converters really work.
6. Like any big purchase attempt to haggle, there’s a big economic downturn on the horizon, you should have some leverage.
7. If you can’t afford to carry out the whole conversion in one hit make sure what does get done won’t need re-working at a later date or affect the warranty.

Point #2: Plenty of information on this forum!

Have a look at Combe Valley Campers on YouTube! Has been very useful for me, especially for the insulation :)

Back