Help - Wiring A Lightbar

AndyT6

Hi Guys,
New on here from Australia I have a T6 and I am in the process of converting it into a camper. I have recently had a roof rack made with a light bar on the front and I am now trying to figure out how to wire it into the VW system so I can connect it to factory made switch (I purchased spares) on the dash where there is spare spots.

I have been told that the factory switches are momentary switches and its all connected to the Can-bus system and it's not an easy process.

I am wondering on where to start, how to make it work and what do i need to make it happen.

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to T6F.

Linking into the OEM system will be a world of pain for you, . . . . . You will need switches, relays, fuses, cabling, crimp pins, VCDS and someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

It will be easier for you to just wire them up oldskool with a power feed from the battery or ingintion feeds from the center dash Fuse box and a relay via a basic on/off switch.

You could do the above using the OEM momentary switch but you would need an extra electronic circuit board that would provide the latching relay with the momentary switch input.

It's all possible, it just depends on how technical you or your tech is, and how good you are with electronics........or how much cash you can throw at the job.

Easiest to hardest below.

1.Relay and switch.

2.Relay and switch, with electronic control board.

3.Full OEM integration.

Is there nothing available for the Transporters like there are for the can bus system on motorcycles to allow addition of extras like lights horns etc?

Hex ezCan

CanOPENER

Nice bit of kit that.

I've used a CANBUS adapter when fitting a aftermarket satnav/radio in a T5, which gave an ignition feed and speed, windbreak signal Etc.

Haven't seen one like that bike one, though if they did do one that would be awsome.

Back