Help, steering problem - Diagnosed, steering rack goosed!

Cuffy

A mans man, with a hint of Guinness.
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Oh font of all knowledge, van drove faultless on the way to Cornwall, been parked up for 2 days and decided to go for a drive, noticed that the steering was heavier than normal and a horrible whining sound when turning the wheel, (video won't upload)
Can send via Watts app if anyone is intrigued enough
The reservoir is on the low side and I'm going to top it up, can't see any visible leaks or seepage from anywhere.
Fingers crossed its the fluid and nothing terminal.

Anyone had something similar?

Topped with fluid and all good in the hood.
Will keep an eye out for potential leaking.

If you want to determine if the steering rack is leaking you can make a pin hole in a lowest point on gaiter at each end of the rack.
Have something ready to mop up and don’t contaminate the brakes.
If the fluid level was very low and the pump was running dry it would be worth flushing the steering hydraulics asap to remove any debris, there are videos on YouTube.

Update, coming off the A30 to join the M5, long left hander, had to fight to the thing round the corner, stopped at the next services, reservoir bone dry.
On further inspection, noticed a leak coming from this area, no idea what is under the gator?
Will get it booked in for an investigation and fix.
Any ideas? Hoping it's a seal gone and it's a cheap fix.
Will update when I have the prognosis.

DSC_5527.JPG

What I expected, worst case an exchange steering rack.
Sent the pic to my mate who has his own garage, he thinks the same too.
Bugger!
Only got 28k on the clock too. Oh well, shit happens, no point in stressing over it, hopefully he can squeeze me in as a priority.
Cheers for the reply :thumbsup:

Dropped the van off to my local garage, he managed to squeeze me in after 2 weeks, rather than the 4 week wait he currently has.
They'll look at it tomorrow for the final prognosis, he did get a quote for a genuine steering rack for a worse case scenario..... £1400, and good old VW, the gators and clips are a separate purchase :eek:
He did advise to go genuine rather than after market as he has had to swap the latter out after only 10 months on a similar van.
C'est la vie.
Will update when I get the results back.
Fingers crossed its a £5 seal :slow rofl:

What I expected, worst case an exchange steering rack.
10 points for your diagnosis.
Steering rack it is, £1600 + labour. The garage are saying that they can't warranty the new rack due to the van being lowered and running 20's, does this sound right?

10 points for your diagnosis.
Steering rack it is, £1600 + labour. The garage are saying that they can't warranty the new rack due to the van being lowered and running 20's, does this sound right?
Yes IMO, the difference from stock angle will be loading the bushes and bearings, probably the reason it failed first time around.
Are those points worth more or less than Nectar points?
I can think of a long list of reasons for not changing the running gear from stock but that won’t stop owners doing it or dealers selling and fitting it.
Stick with go faster stripes and it’s a safe bet.

Back