Help Needed With Wheels

Cruse05uk

hi all I have a shuttle with 17” steel wheels I took it to a car wash yesterday and they have sprayed something on. Y wheels that has made the silver run into the black hub looks like pain runs is there anything that can remove this ? Thanks in advance

22EAF35A-BDA3-4E5E-A771-EE8718B6C68B.jpeg

I doubt the car wash people have sprayed paint on your caps, rather the paint might of already been on the caps, and their chemicals have just removed what was hiding the paint.
The caps are only bare plastic, but thinners might make more of a mess, potentially damaging the plastic. You might be just as well replacing the cap if it's only 1.

The car was brand new Made to order picked it up last week and it’s all 4 wheels. I didn’t mean sprayed it with paint I mean chemical cleaner that’s caused this

Last edited:
The car was brand new Made to order picked it up last week and it’s all 4 wheels

Are you saying it wasn't like that until you had it washed?
It looks to me like someone has sprayed the steel wheels and not bothered removing the caps.
I've never seen a wheel cleaner do that before.

The problem is, those style caps are not cheap for what they are.

Probably just the poor paint finish on the VW steel wheels. Have you rubbed your hand over the paint on the wheel, is there any paint on your hand? :whistle:

Looks like the protective wax coating from the rims?

Have you tried washing it off?

I’ve rubbed the wheels nothing comes off on my hands it was not on there before I took it too the car wash it has to be some sort of acid cleaner. The car wash has taken responsibility and give me the money to get them replaced

Be careful of these cheap car washes, I've seen them use brick acid as it's cheaper and quicker than traffic film remover....trust me I didn't let them near my car at the time

Many car wash outfits pre-spray the wheels with 'traffic film remover detergent' prior to the main wash. If too high a concentrate mix and it will strip paint and discolour plastic.
Nothing wrong with original paint.

It’s acid. Nothing you can do unless you are handy with a spray tin.... or it’s back to the dealers for new ones.
it also strips the paint off calipers and helps discs rot 1000 times quicker.
Shout NO ACID at them when you drive in. If they use it you can sometimes smell it coming through the vents. Burns the old nostrils.
Then run them over :cautious:

Back