Help needed, T6.1 headlining removal

Petro

Pure grey T6.1 Transporter 4Motion 150hp
T6 Guru
Trying to drop the headlining and im not familiar how to take the center unit away/ the screw holding the lining from the T6.1. Anyone done this?

39D51286-AE61-4C49-8F7F-AFA9BD209565.jpegCC592436-4E95-488A-9C63-4714A5DF8895.jpegB9D54859-4595-4538-A7AC-DF9140F0D842.jpeg

If anyone has access to shop service manuals or has done this would be great, id like to tackle this tomorrow and I REALLY don't want to break anything from that unit as it looks expensive piece of plastic. :speechless:

Managed to drop the headliner.

You need to pry all 3 panels from the center module out. The auxiliary heater panel is plastic welded to the center module so dont try to pry that one out.

There are wiring looms coming to each of the 3 panels.
There are 6 screws holding the center module to the headliner:
- 2 under the SOS button panel,
- 2 holding the inner lightning panel and under that light panel there are 2 more holding the module to the headliner.

After you’ve taken these 6 screws from center module out and unclipped every panel and unclipped the connectors you can start to pry the module from the headliner, its quite the pull. Start from the front (auxiliary heater/sos button end), pull straight down. There are 2 hooks on windscreen end of the module. After youve managed to get the module out, there are 2 more screws holding the headliner to the roof.

Mine also had 2 wires going to the rearview mirror. I twisted the mirror base counterclockwise to it unclipped and i was able to unplug the connectors.
I wanna say, bitch of a job compared to the T6 but manageable, just take your time.

69473562-A5AC-494B-9927-0136281A69D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Just done mine.
The above is accurate, it is quite a pull on the rear end of that module, i preyed it down with a trim tool, once the 2 back clips let go it just fell out.
dont take the 2 remaining screws out UNTIL you have un-clipped the connectors of the mirror, again little buggers... mine had 2, the larger lower one just has a tiny little clip holding it in the smaller top one, i ended up with a very small screwdriver and just preyed it from the bottom and it eventually popped out.
then you can un-thread those wires and drop the lining.

It's a trickier job than the T6 headlinings, I suspect in the future when the plasitc is older the tabs will easily snap...

Thanks for this; it’ll save me a lot of head scratching; gonna do mine quite soon.

Where you have the controls for your automatic pop top, I have a blank plate and was going to fit something there. Anyone done anything with this? I've seen suggestions for a clock on amazon but it doesn't fit the 6.1

Where you have the controls for your automatic pop top, I have a blank plate and was going to fit something there. Anyone done anything with this? I've seen suggestions for a clock on amazon but it doesn't fit the 6.1
We fit diesel heater controls there

So a few pics here as to what to expect. i have taken 2 of these off and both times one of the back clips has broken off but a bit of super glue to stick it back on, seems to sort it when its put back.
they are really hard to pull off and your sure your doing it wrong, but once those 2 back clips let go it pretty much falls off.
the wires to the mirror are a pig to get off, the release clip is not obvious. so i took the route of just cutting the plastic piece (used tin snips) then yo can just leave mirror wires in place.
20220131_124025_01 (2).jpg20220131_122036.jpg20220131_121556.jpg

Reactions: mmi
VW have created a great design here... they snap very easlily and that's on a new van. Imagine one 5yrs old when pastic becomes brittle....:eek:

This post was super helpful so just adding a few extra pics. I found it useful to use a wide pry tool. Also so extra pics of what the inside looks like. As others have said it is a bit of a tug to get it off and goes with the usual dashboard removal clicks. Thanks to the others that already posted.

20220904_122859.jpg

20220904_123024.jpg

20220904_123201.jpg

Back