Help needed - cant get a bolt back.

Gsixty

T6 Pro
This afternoon I could hear the van making a few strange noises from the engine bay. I was checking this out and noticed that when I had a tow bar fitted the fitter had connected directly to the battery negative.

Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 18.22.35.png

I remember reading nothing should be connected to this so decided to find an alternative point (with a mulitmeter).

I chose to use a bolt near to the lower left of the battery as that had a good ground.

I took the bolt out but when I tried to put it back in there was no way it will go back. The threaded component was not now in line with the hole and I cant pull the bracket behind the hole enough to get the bolt back in.

I am guessing that the van is ok to drive in the short term but will need to got the bolt back somehow so looking for suggestions.

Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 18.31.00.pngScreenshot 2023-04-09 at 18.31.19.png

Use the headlight bracket bolts to the right.

Left and right one of those three bolts hold the fuel filter. So you might get it in by loosening the rightmost bolt a bit, watch for the filter so it doesn’t drop

Use the headlight bracket bolts to the right.
Thanks, I did that as they were the only others I could see in reach, as that bolt was too big for the connections I took off the battery negative. But I need to get that bolt back as well. :(

Left and right one of those three bolts hold the fuel filter. So you might get it in by loosening the rightmost bolt a bit, watch for the filter so it doesn’t drop
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried loosening the right of the three bolts, but it still wasnt loose enough to get the firts back in. I was too scared to take it out in case I couldnt get either back.

Parrot pliers to see if top bracket could be forced right slightly? Just based on the image

IMG_3635.jpeg

Parrot pliers to see if top bracket could be forced right slightly? Just based on the image

View attachment 195261
Thanks, I had to google parrot pliers. I will give that a try, I think the bit the arrow on the left points to is fixed to the metal below it. The arrow on the right is pointing at a bit of plastic so would snap easily.

Use Pump pliers opened up and use the head of the bolt and the flat metal that you need to move and squeeze gently moving the the left hand bit of metal so you can get the bolt started. Pump Pliers as pictured and stay away from the plastic :fast rofl:

57366_P.jpg1.jpeg

Last edited:
What's down the gap under the leftmost arrow? Is there anything down there to pry a crowbar or large screwdriver off to lever the bracket across?
If not can you put a screwdriver deep in the offending hole and get the bracket to move that way?

What's down the gap under the leftmost arrow? Is there anything down there to pry a crowbar or large screwdriver off to lever the bracket across?
If not can you put a screwdriver deep in the offending hole and get the bracket to move that way?
Thanks again for replies and suggestions.
There is nothing solid down that hole. Plenty of breakable stuff though. Plus I’m sure part labelled 1 is fixed to the plate below (labelled 2). Then the threaded bracket is below that. There are at least 3 layers.

1681071326518.png

out of all the bits which bit moves/moved the bracket or the threaded bit at the bottom of the hole
if the bracket moves try the pump pliers method
if the threaded bit moves tapered bolt will pull it over

out of all the bits which bit moves/moved the bracket or the threaded bit at the bottom of the hole
if the bracket moves try the pump pliers method
if the threaded bit moves tapered bolt will pull it over
Thanks. Its the threaded bit that moves. The tapered bolt wont pull it clear. I struggle to get it to move pulling the bracket and certainly not enough to get the bolt in.

Thanks. Its the threaded bit that moves. The tapered bolt wont pull it clear. I struggle to get it to move pulling the bracket and certainly not enough to get the bolt in.
well it looks like no suggestions will work so drill a large hole in the top bit of metal so it lines up with the threaded bit if the holes to big put a large washer on the bolt

Surely you can just leaver the threaded bit over by sticking a large screwdriver down the hole

Back