Help me plan our next AdVanture (see what I did there...)

KombiKommando

Dogger
T6 Guru
So easter next year. Yeah it is a way off I know. But wanna do a trip for a week (over two weekends) up t'north probably include a bit of kilt action.... recommend me some places!!!

So easter next year. Yeah it is a way off I know. But wanna do a trip for a week (over two weekends) up t'north probably include a bit of kilt action.... recommend me some places!!!
We're doing similar over October half term - will be up to Berwick upon Tweed for a couple of nights staying at my Sister's and then heading into Scotland for a few days (Loch Lomond maybe) then heading back via the Lake District.

The coast up in Northumberland is stunning with lots of castles and things to see - we love Lindisfarne.

At the moment, beyond staying at my sister', I'm planning on not planning anything and will just see where the mood takes us. However, knowing me, that will change!!

We are setting off next Friday to Northumberland for 2 nights, Edinburgh 1 night for Gin Tasting!
Then doing the far North - NC500 - for 12 nights.
Hoping the sun shines and the rain stops!!
Will recommend places as we come across them but the advance planning suggests Durnoch, Dunnett's Head, Bettyhill, Cape Wrath, Ullapool, Gairloch
and Applecross.
:thumbsup:

Depends which way you go up... east/west coast. I'd say go east, come back west. Newcastle up through Northumberland coast is breathtaking as you continue up into Scotland.

Once in the land of the Scots, hit Edinburgh, (after that, you could go north on the a9 through Pitlochry, which has an amazing pub, seeing steak stuffed with haggis!) or straight through to Glasgow, then across to the west coast. Whichever way you go, make sure to take a few walks round Ben Nevis and try to check out Oban...

Honestly, the list is endless. Depends what you're in to.

Have fun!

Depends which way you go up... east/west coast. I'd say go east, come back west. Newcastle up through Northumberland coast is breathtaking as you continue up into Scotland.

Once in the land of the Scots, hit Edinburgh, (after that, you could go north on the a9 through Pitlochry, which has an amazing pub, seeing steak stuffed with haggis!) or straight through to Glasgow, then across to the west coast. Whichever way you go, make sure to take a few walks round Ben Nevis and try to check out Oban...

Honestly, the list is endless. Depends what you're in to.

Have fun!

Thanks matey. I like the sound of steak and haggis!!

Me n the Mrs like the wilderness. Wind swept mountain and rivers, lochs and coast etc.... we are not averse to being off grid and by then, our van should be well converted for it! (Fingers and toes crossed, funds allowing....)

Now, just whereabouts is that pub with the steak n haggis again......?

:D

Me n the Mrs like the wilderness. Wind swept mountain and rivers, lochs and coast etc.... we are not averse to being off grid and by then, our van should be well converted for it! (Fingers and toes crossed, funds allowing....)

The Old Mill Inn... just looked at the menu and they're now doing chicken stuffed with haggis instead... Chicken Killiecrankie (I think both Crankies should have been killed!) :D

If you like the wilderness, then the whole west coast is awesome!

I've not done the far north yet... going to give that a go next year, unless we go to Ireland.

Also, if you go up the east coast through Northumberland, stop in at Craster, where you can walk to Dunstanburgh castle (used as a film location for loads of stuff) and go to The Jolly Fisherman after for amazing seafood, including the beautiful Craster smoked kippers.

Firstly, assuming that Easter is in April that is probably the best month to visit up here. Reasonably long days, great weather, warming up and no midges. If you like wilderness and like being off grid then you need to aim for the west coast which is one of the most stunning and unspoilt places you can find anywhere. The best scenery is north of Fort William - it's a long way but worth it. Despite living in the Highlands, we still go to the NW coast on holiday. IMO the two most spectacular areas are Torridon and Assynt if you scenery and a bit of walking. They are like nowhere else on earth let alone the UK

Forget the silly food novelties. There are lots of places doing great locally sourced food. Good haggis is a wonderful thing (but in its own) and especially on the west coast the seafood is fantastic. Lots of times I have eaten seafood that I saw being landed a couple of hours previously

Let me know if you want any specific recommendations

Firstly, assuming that Easter is in April that is probably the best month to visit up here. Reasonably long days, great weather, warming up and no midges. If you like wilderness and like being off grid then you need to aim for the west coast which is one of the most stunning and unspoilt places you can find anywhere. The best scenery is north of Fort William - it's a long way but worth it. Despite living in the Highlands, we still go to the NW coast on holiday. IMO the two most spectacular areas are Torridon and Assynt if you scenery and a bit of walking. They are like nowhere else on earth let alone the UK

Forget the silly food novelties. There are lots of places doing great locally sourced food. Good haggis is a wonderful thing (but in its own) and especially on the west coast the seafood is fantastic. Lots of times I have eaten seafood that I saw being landed a couple of hours previously

Let me know if you want any specific recommendations
I was joking about the haggis stuffed food... the pub is really nice though

@Captain Mainwaring
We are heading up to do the NC500 a week today.
Looking at map there is so much to doo_O
Would love some good food stops around Torridon & Assynt?
Thanks in advance

Also, if you go up the east coast through Northumberland, stop in at Craster, where you can walk to Dunstanburgh castle (used as a film location for loads of stuff) and go to The Jolly Fisherman after for amazing seafood, including the beautiful Craster smoked kippers.
Echo this recommendation completely :thumbsup:
If you fancy a longer walk then stop at the Castle and then continue North along Embleton Bay to Newtown by the Sea.
The Ship Inn brews its own beer and does fab food.
You can time it to get the local bus back to Craster ....or walk back if you've eaten too much!

@Captain Mainwaring
We are heading up to do the NC500 a week today.
Looking at map there is so much to doo_O
Would love some good food stops around Torridon & Assynt?
Thanks in advance
There is a huge amount to do, and getting some walking boots on will make it even better. Decent places to eat are not plentiful in the area but as a start I would recommend:
The Old School, Kinlochbervie - a tea shop during the day but do evening meals
Kylesku hotel, Kylesku - one of the best places in the highlands. At busy times you need to book to eat even at the bar
The Lochinver Larder, Lochinver - the best pies ever, including haggis
Shieldaig bar and Coastal Kitchen, Shieldaig - good seafood and unpretentious
Torridon Inn, Torridon - along with the Coastal Kitchen the only place to eat for miles. Was great but had dropped off a bit last time we were there last year
Also worth mentioning the Applecross Inn at Applecross. Great place with great seafood but gets rammed in the summer. Worth going for the drive up the Bealach na Ba

cheers peeps! me n the mrs are getting our heads together on this. prob looking at heading up the east coast to northumberland and hanging out there for a day, then up up up to east coast scotland (we have family there). the its a wiggle-jiggle into aviemore then all the way over to the west coast.

trying to look for places where i can fish for brookies along the way if anyone knows of anywhere free? (I've heard that remote highland lochs are free). I've got a new wetsuit so ill be trying out the freediving for lobster and crab on the west coast, so if anyone has a few pointers?

keep em coming folks!

Just on our way back and stopping off at rellies in Northumberland.
So many sea lochs that hard to recommend any stand outers.
Ardmair campsite and Achmelvich site are both handily placed to swim out from.
Sands at Gairloch is great site also but more beachside that Lochside.
Lots of small pull offs to park up but as not experienced in fishy things difficult to recommend good places for yourself.
Its great fun and well worth it.
Enjoy

Easter 2018 is end of March. We did a Scotland trip a few years ago with a very dear friend, now no longer with us. 4 up in a Merc C270. I had worked on the Sunday till 18:00 so home dinner into bed. Left Kent at midnight in the middle of June, drove non stop except fuel and coffee and pulled into the docks at Edinburgh at 08:00 the next morning, did the Britannia then parked up and walked up to the castle to see and hear the cannon go, no go 3 times they tried then gave up. Stopped in a Travel Lodge in Edinburgh then drove to Sterling area went to William Wallace memorial and the commandos memorial, highly recommended. Passed through Glen Coe up to Loch Lomond stopped in a hotel next to a walkers hostel, allegedly Rob Roy had stayed there, which was possibly the last time they cleaned it, good laugh though. Next day was up to a B&B by Loch Linnie just outside Fort William for 2 nights, very nice . Walked Glen Nevis and went up Ben Nevis in the ski cable car and watched hard core down hill mountain biking. Looked at both ends of the canal. Got the Harry Potter steam train up to Malaigh, well worth the trip. Also did a boat ride out from near to Oban round the islands, good. Next day headed South, night in Glasgow. Next day headed South night in North London then on the Sunday a boat trip on the Thames with a bunch who meet up at the Caister soul weekends, that was a lost day. Whole trip was great and the weather was good all the way, one gnat bite between four of us. Truly was a holiday to remember. Baz

20170924_135812.jpg

Easy Peasy in a VW..... but its amazing how many people can't reverse a car when they have to!
NC500 last week.
Great trip

Back