Hello from New Zealand!

Kiwivan

Hey guys new to the forum and looking for some help. I live in NZ and I've got a basic T6, the white panel van type. It's 4 motion, 6 speed manual and I'm looking to upgrade the wheels. Options are extremely limited here with the maximum recommended size being 18 inch from most shops in town. I would like to go bigger with 19s or 20s (possibly purchase them online) but I don't know the weight of my van so don't know what sort of wheels to look for. I've had a look under the bonnet to see the weight but the black sticker is blank. Any help would be appreciated. Also if I got wheels that weren't the correct load rating what are the risks of this? Thanks

Hi Kiwi. Look in your owners manual. It gives the total weight and axle weights.If you have a LWB TDI340 I think it's 3000kg fully loaded. The TDI 400is 3200kg If I remember rightly

Thanks Mick. I found the sticker under the dashboard and worked out in the manual its gross is 3000kg. Is this with a full load of 6 people or a couple of people and tools etc? If i divide that by 4 that means each wheel would have to be rated to 750kg.

Axle weight on a 3000kg van is 1500ish per axle. Exact weight is in owners manual. 3000kg is the maximum legal total weight of loaded van including people fuel water gear etc.If a camper conversion has been done you have to allow for the extra weight of cabinets fridge etc. So if standard van is 1800kg and conversion is 400kg then the payload is now 800kg . Once again this includes people fuel water food and assorted bits and pieces. When I had mine converted I was supplied with a weigh bridge certificate to show motor registration dept giving new weight of van. Tyres on mine are rated to about 900kg but I always have a fair load compared to an empty van . The load rating on my original tyres was 103 now I run 108. Google what this means if not sure.

The weight isn’t spread equally between the axles. In the UK there is a plate/sticker on the van with the max weights per axle. You need to take the higher axle value and halve that to get the loading for your wheels and tyres.

Pete

Forgot to say if you have under rated load tyres and have a prang there is insurance and legal problems with the police which is undesirable to say the least.

Just purchased my T6 4motion van so will be starting my camper conversion soon enough. Bit hard sourcing parts down this side of the the world so I'm sure some out of the box thinking will be required. Looking forward to digging through all the threads.

Welcome to the forum @Gonk77 Don’t forget to post some photos :thumbsup:

Hi Gonk, hope you manage to source the parts etc that you require for your build. And as Deaky said above, remember to post some pics!

Looking forward to getting stuck into it. At present sorting out shipping it down from the North island. I've a couple of golf mk5 gti seats for it already for a starter.

Welcome to the forum - lovely to have contributions from beyond!

Back