Headlight upgrade questions - HID or Philips Extreme

smilie121

VCDS User
T6 Pro
Hi everyone!

Has anyone installed HID bulbs or those Philips Extreme LED bulbs into the projector of an aftermarket headlight such as the V2 or V3 DRL's?

Besides aesthetics I am looking for improved light output. Especially as the wife will be on the insurance.

I have installed and seen the major light output difference of HID kits to projector lenses. No comparison. I have also installed 2 x H7R HID kits (designed for reflector housings) to a Golf and a Passat. There's alot to be said about this option and that's for you to read online. Both vehicles have had 3 MOT's between them with no issues nor oncoming drivers flashing. It's an option but I am thinking a van is higher off the ground that a car

A quick search of the forum will reveal lots of discussion on this topic, the search function is your friend!

I did search but no one mentioned HID or LED experience or attempting to fit. Someone asked if anyone had installer HID and no one answered. Since its been a while i thought i would ask again.

I think @dubber36 has fitted HID..

I've got a HID kit in my v3s and very happy with them. Have a look on the forum for the V2 thread as there's a lot of chat about what HID kit to get

I did search but no one mentioned HID or LED experience or attempting to fit. Someone asked if anyone had installer HID and no one answered. Since its been a while i thought i would ask again.
This is the thread you want. It's very long, but has loads of info in it. To make it really easy though I've linked directly to the post from @dubber36 showing you exactly which bulbs he has fitted to his THQ headlights (There's a link at the bottom of his post)

Thanks Chris, have had a good read through it all. My choice of search terms didn't pull that thread up, think the additional of DRL or LED may have omitted it.

I did something similar on the UK Passat B8 forum, mentioning HID vs LED and youtube video as well!

After reading I decided against the V2. However they have no V3 in stock - in black or chrome :mad: - not had much luck finding them on other sites.

Which lights would you go for on a white van? Black or chrome? I was going to heads or tails o_O

20200809_173429 1920.jpg

Thanks Chris, have had a good read through it all. My choice of search terms didn't pull that thread up, think the additional of DRL or LED may have omitted it.

I did something similar on the UK Passat B8 forum, mentioning HID vs LED and youtube video as well!

After reading I decided against the V2. However they have no V3 in stock - in black or chrome :mad: - not had much luck finding them on other sites.

Which lights would you go for on a white van? Black or chrome? I was going to heads or tails o_O

View attachment 81417
Personally I prefer the black, the chrome ones are a bit too much for my taste.

I sort of lean that way as I am planning on having black graphics of mountains down the lower side of the van. Then I say, chrome to match the VW logo

I have stainless side bars too. Alloys are regular 17" (actually brand new) as I didn't like the feel of the 20" ride. I may coat them black or invest in something else when the rubbers wears down

Back