Has anyone considered a different van??

We had a T6 camper which was out first foray into campervanning. It was great particularly in town but being a full fat camper, it wasn’t really much use as a daily driver.

Three years later…
We bought a demo LWB super high Crafter panel van for a song.
Owning the T6 meant that we knew exactly what layout we needed and what design ideas to include. We wanted to get far more serious about our trips and needed more comfort, including a loo as a must. The interior needed to be flexible and able to carry a load if necessary.

I designed the interior to do exactly what I wanted gave it all to Richard at Rhales
Conversions and hey presto, we now have something far more practical and flexible than a Grand California.

Still miss our cool T6, but love our very own Grand Crafter.

:mexican wave:

A6DF1B8D-A203-4E29-9FB5-0064C366CE9D.jpeg

We are still considering our next larger van, still undecided, but it will most likely be a High roof MWB 4 Motion crafter, only issue is your waiting times here in Aus is currently around 12 months.

The sprinter is being released with the new 4cyl engine and a new 4Matic drivetrain, looks good, but no rear diff lock and a new engine and drivetrain will need a little time to sort out any issues.

We have been hounding our Iveco dealer about the new 4x4 Daily Van, as it has a high ground clearance, and the options of 5.5 ton or 7 ton GVM, all on a singe rear wheel

This is the MWB with a Superhigh roof, id prefer the lower highroof MWB

this one below has english subtitles

Enjoyed our T6, but a fixed bed and a little more room would be welcome

These larger vans are great, but are not useable as daily transport like a SWB T6

So at your holiday destination it's harder to
go out somewhere if you've got to drive a great big bus, rather than the equivalent of a large SUV.
I feel much the same but ultimately everything's a compromise and I suppose it comes down to all sorts of personal circumstances and what people like to actually do when they're away, what places they tend to go, how many of them there are etc etc. I considered most options before getting a van and for the three of us our SWB T6 seems just about the right thing for a decent upgrade over the tent camping we've always done previously. They're also not completely horrible to drive considering that they're vans and small enough that I can still enjoy the driving even when the lanes get a bit narrower. Also its size means that on the odd occasion where the other car isn't there I can use it like that so we don't need to run three vehicles between us.

These larger vans are great, but are not useable as daily transport like a SWB T6

So at your holiday destination it's harder to
go out somewhere if you've got to drive a great big bus, rather than the equivalent of a large SUV.
Agreed
A T6 is always going to be easier as a daily driver, but allow me a small point:
Where I live, in London, all the courier drivers use Crafters and Sprinters to get around, and they easily fit through a 6’6” widths restriction.

The LWB crafter does have a crap turning circle though!

If you park up on the beach and see a VW van and you don't have one, it's at that moment you realise that you've made a poor vehicle choice.
IMO it’s not about the van it’s what it allows you to do.
If I went to the beach to hang about looking at vans instead of being on the beach then I’d be questioning why I went there.

IMO it’s not about the van it’s what it allows you to do.
If I went to the beach to hang about looking at vans instead of being on the beach then I’d be questioning why I went there.
The good thing about opinions is, you're allowed one and it's yours.

No chance I would ever want to drive any other van based vehicle since getting our new to us MY16 Caravelle, I absolutely F**kin love it which is just as well since we saved hard for 5 years to purchase, upgraded from a Mitsubishi Delica that we had for 14 years, that too was a great vehicle but MPG was terrible, low 20's at best, I'm now averaging low 40's with over 50 on a decent run

003.JPG
009.JPG
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_06996.jpg

On guard duty looking after Blue's Bus !!!

IMG_0691.JPG

Love that Camper!
There's something about the VW Camper, it's the legend, the history going back to the 1960's
Other vans may well be better, on account of their larger size etc, but there's only one VW bus.
In some small way you are a part of all that history when you go on holiday in one.
Doesn't matter if you own it, or hire one like we did.
The feeling is still the same.

Back