Handbrake move from VW to Sportskraft

Ethan Andrews

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I want to replace my VW drivers seat base with a Sportskraft swivel base.

The passenger seat was easy.

I can see predrilled bolt holes in the new base. And obviously it has come with a handbrake fitting kit.

But in principle. What is involved to move than handbrake. The OEM seat base I presume must have the OEM handbrake bracket welded on.

I am mechanically minded but I am almost tempted to leave this job to a pro.

Any input much appreciated.

I've done the passenger side, which was a doddle. Thought the drivers side was the same, with an adaptor for the handbrake. Just a matter of taking plastic covers off hand brake and adjusting the cable tension.
EDIT: Instructions

The lowering adaptor supplied for a Sportscraft swivel under a driver's seat is bluntly rubbish! I've tried it twice. The best answer is to get the original hand brake bracket removed and re-fitted lower (and I think a bit further forwards).
The original plastic hand brake cover can be modified to fit by removing some from the lower edge. Don't just cut it parallel to the existing bottom edge because it doesn't work out like that, measure and cut carefully.
I can provide pictures of mine if you need them.

As above. The bracket is very flexible and far from ideal although very easy to fit. I ran out of adjustment on the cable and had to fabricate some spacers but all working OK now.
I haven't modified the cover yet but intend to move the original bracket instead then sort it.

The lowering adaptor supplied for a Sportscraft swivel under a driver's seat is bluntly rubbish! I've tried it twice. The best answer is to get the original hand brake bracket removed and re-fitted lower (and I think a bit further forwards).
The original plastic hand brake cover can be modified to fit by removing some from the lower edge. Don't just cut it parallel to the existing bottom edge because it doesn't work out like that, measure and cut carefully.
I can provide pictures of mine if you need them.

That would be fantastic Rod thank you.

I am glad you suggested that because the one supplied looks very flimsy.

That would be fantastic Rod thank you.

I am glad you suggested that because the one supplied looks very flimsy.

Here you go...
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Don't ask about the wrong colour of the lower cover, it's a long story but suffice to say if you need a new one be sure to order the correct colour code (last three digits of the part number).

Thanks Rod,

I didn’t even notice the colour. It looks fine really. And is unique!

So a few questions please.

Did you cut off the OEM bracket from the OEM base and then reattach (?weld) it onto the Sportscraft base?

The Sportscraft base is quite a lot narrower so will surely be a lot closer to the seat.

Reusing the OEM bracket does seem a lot more well engineered.

I must google one that is on eBay to check that out in comparison to the Sportscraft one.

The plastic cover that you adapted to fit. I guess that was just trial and error and careful jigsawing until you got the correct fit?

E739EED4-82F9-4387-B7EA-2B8C61AECC1D.jpeg

F78A03CC-3137-4D07-AD0B-5DF793E7C6A5.jpeg

22419357-3A81-4789-96D7-476914834B61.jpeg

Notes added to your message....

Did you cut off the OEM bracket from the OEM base and then reattach (?weld) it onto the Sportscraft base? It's not a Sportscraft base, it's the original VW one. The bracket was removed with a spot weld removal drill bit something like this but I can't remember which size.

The Sportscraft base is quite a lot narrower so will surely be a lot closer to the seat. Not applicable see above.

Reusing the OEM bracket does seem a lot more well engineered. Yes and properly welded on just as good as original just a bit lower to reach to pull it on, needs a bit of painting over the newly welded areas.

I must google one that is on eBay to check that out in comparison to the Sportscraft one.

The plastic cover that you adapted to fit. I guess that was just trial and error and careful jigsawing until you got the correct fit? Yes, a bit trial and error but can be made to look as good as the original fitment. Especially if you don't damage one and end up ordering a new one in the wrong colour!

Back