H4 Headlights on unlock change?

GavMc P11GT

So I’m told the H7 headlights can be VCDS coded out at unlock and swapped to the standard DRL lights but the H4 headlights can’t? Is that right?

How do we change them over so the headlights just stay off and the DRLS operate on unlock?

Cheers

Both H7's and H4's will display DRLs on unlock and key in barrel. Are you confusing the DRLs on the H4's for the dipped beam ? It isn't, the H4's main bulb is dual filament for main and dipped beam.

Last edited:
You can alter the settings for it using Carista. I know you can turn them off completely so you can still leave the lights in 'auto' mode but all remain off when locking/ unlocking (this is what I have done). I think you can also change what lights the van uses for this function

You can alter the settings for it using Carista. I know you can turn them off completely so you can still leave the lights in 'auto' mode but all remain off when locking/ unlocking (this is what I have done). I think you can also change what lights the van uses for this function
Yeah that’s what I’ll need to do I think basically I’m putting led headlights in but they flicker on startup as soon as you unlock the van the dipped beam comes on on a night! And stay on as you start the engine causing the led’s to flicker and they not only look rubbish but will most likely shorten the life of the bulbs! During the day it seems only the drl’s come on! I’d like this all the time!

I have access to VCDS no carista though sadly

Isn’t this feature is coming/leaving home lights and only available on vans with Auto lights? I wish my DRLs would come on at unlock but don’t think I can enable this as I don’t have Auto headlights.

I would just prefer the lights not to be on while cranking over! It could be the difference between starting and not starting if the battery got flat I think it’s a stupid idea!

Came out of work tonight it was starting to get dark but was more or less still daylight my DRL lights were on as well as the dipped beam! There has to be a way of having no dipped beam on the DRL’s are more than enough! I know I can swap from dipped beam to fogs but just want neither of those!

You either need to turn away from auto lights to stop them coming on or disable the feature with vcds

Just untick the ‘leaving home’ option

If the headlight switch is in the auto position, dipped beam will come on with the ignition if it's dark enough anyway, so has nothing to do with coming/leaving home lights.

The issue is crap bulbs. Sort that out rather than trying to paint over the stain.

If the headlight switch is in the auto position, dipped beam will come on with the ignition if it's dark enough anyway, so has nothing to do with coming/leaving home lights.

The issue is crap bulbs. Sort that out rather than trying to paint over the stain.
I have osram night breakers in there at the minute and although not flickering on cranking we still have dipped beam on while cranking! Would it make you feel better if I spend 5-600 on some v3’s then ask this question again?

First of you said that your LED bulbs were flickering, the halogens you have fitted don't, therefore the flickering issue is with the bulbs.

I explained in the post that you quoted, so obviously must have read it, that the dipped headlights will come on when you turn the ignition on if it's dark enough if the headlight switch is in the auto position, therefore will be on when cranking. You could either disable auto lights, or turn the headlight switch to the off position. Either way, DRLs would still be on with the ignition, and during the cracking process. It is possible to code the DRLs to only be on when the parking brake is off, so you could crank with no lights on whatsoever.

I understand that I am as thick as shit and find it difficult to convey information, but please don't feel that you have to buy new headlights just to make me feel better. I'll be OK.

Back