Groaning Steering at slow speeds

JohnDeere

Hi

I have a 2015 T5.1 on 96k miles.

Since I bought it, the steering groaned a little when turning full lock, so if parking an it was full lock.

However it seems to have got worse and it’s now groaning when I turn the wheel at slow speeds, mainly parking.

Seems to be ok when moving along, although feels a little heavy but coming from a 430D, it’s probably normal.

Likely to be the PS pump or something else?

Came with an auto guard warranty but I suspect something had to fail for this to actually be claimable rather than failing.

Cheers

I noticed groaning steering when cold outside temperatures minus 6 minus 10 ish. Flushed the fluid and all good. Surprisingly on the t6 a steering fluid change isn't in the service schedule.

Hi

I have a 2015 T5.1 on 96k miles.

Since I bought it, the steering groaned a little when turning full lock, so if parking an it was full lock.

However it seems to have got worse and it’s now groaning when I turn the wheel at slow speeds, mainly parking.

Seems to be ok when moving along, although feels a little heavy but coming from a 430D, it’s probably normal.

Likely to be the PS pump or something else?

Came with an auto guard warranty but I suspect something had to fail for this to actually be claimable rather than failing.

Cheers
At that mileage it’s probably the front strut top mounts , vw don’t supply T5.1 ones anymore , they upgrade to the T6,1 type.

Quick update.

Issue seems to have got worse. Steering now seems heavier in general, more noticeable at slower speeds. The groaning noise seems to be there when turning the wheel at slow speeds, previously it was just when on full lock.

If I am stationary and I move the wheel left or right, if groans but it doesn’t feel like a physical issue, it feels like something electronic is groaning. If I increase the revs and turn the wheel, I cant hear the groaning and if feels smoother to turn.

It’s still drivable but if it gets worse, I’m going to struggle to turn it at slow speeds.

Quick update.

Issue seems to have got worse. Steering now seems heavier in general, more noticeable at slower speeds. The groaning noise seems to be there when turning the wheel at slow speeds, previously it was just when on full lock.

If I am stationary and I move the wheel left or right, if groans but it doesn’t feel like a physical issue, it feels like something electronic is groaning. If I increase the revs and turn the wheel, I cant hear the groaning and if feels smoother to turn.

It’s still drivable but if it gets worse, I’m going to struggle to turn it at slow speeds.
Pointing towards the power steering. Have you checked the power steering fluid. It might be low.

Just been out in it, first five minutes the steering was back to how it was originally. Slight groan on full lock but fine otherwise

Five minutes later and it’s back to being heavy again for the rest of the journey!

Just been out in it, first five minutes the steering was back to how it was originally. Slight groan on full lock but fine otherwise

Five minutes later and it’s back to being heavy again for the rest of the journey!
I would definitely check power steering fluid , If that’s ok it will be the rack itself. . Any fluids leaking from under the front .?

I would definitely check power steering fluid , If that’s ok it will be the rack itself. . Any fluids leaking from under the front .?
Fluid seems fine, it’s between the cool and the hot marks.

I changed it recently, well I removed what was in the header tank with a turkey baster and filled it back up with new stuff.

Rather hoping it’s not the steering rack. I have a autogaurd warranty but I think it only applies if something actually fails so unsure how far I would get with a claim

Went in Friday to be looked at.

He said the two upper strut mounts were toast, both need replacing which could explain the heavy steering and pulling to the left, apparently the strut mounts play a big part in the steering.

He said the PS pump is likely starting to fail, hence the groaning etc. He reckons its a while off and it’s unlikely to just fail.

Waiting for the warranty company to decide if they are going to approve all, some or none of the claim. He’s gone in expensive as He said they normally knock them back on costs etc so as long as they come back around the actual price, he should be able to get it all done.

Worst case they refuse it all and he said I should get the top mounts done first and see how it feels after, if it’s still heavy and groaning, get the pump done.

So it was the top mounts as @CRS Performance suspected in post 3, gotta listen to the experts :thumbsup:
Indeed.

Warranty company washed their hands of both issues.

Said the top mounts were wear and tear which is fair enough but they also said the 'slow wearing of the power steering pump over time is due to wear and tear' so they won't be paying for either.

To be honest, I feel they would wiggle out of any claim which makes the whole concept of a non dealer warranty largely a waste of time/money.

Anyway, garage I bought it off three months ago have agreed to do both the top mounts and the pump for me with no charge which is handy. Issue seems to have got worse too, the groaning noise is really pronounced now at slow speeds. She also doesn't drive straight, the steering wheel is off centre and she keeps veering left which can be fairly aggressive at times (4 wheel alignment already done). Steering is also very notchy and not smooth, if sitting on the motorway at 70mph, moving the wheel left or right seems notchy so its like you have to put more effort in to bein with. Really weird feeling but its not nice to drive.

Going in next Thursday

Just got the Van back

Top mounts were changed and they found one of the shocks was shot, leaking oil so that had to be changed.

Power steering pump also changed.

They also changed the pads and discs which I supplied.

Cost me £132 in total which is two hours labour, was happy with that.

Steering seems fine now.

Back