Go Outdoors in administration

I would be sorry for a whole bunch of people if they lost their jobs because of Go either slimming down or going out of business completely and from a personal point of view, I would also be sorry to see a shop with such a wide range of outdoor type goods going out of business. BUT, I certainly won't be sorry to see the end of all of their fake discounts and what I consider to be sharp pricing practices, They're not alone in that sort of thing but it's annoying all the same - in that respect, they would make a good fit for the Mike Ashley empire. I'll get my tin hat!

Not to mention getting rid of staff without having to go through the whole ballsache thing of respecting their employment and consultation rights.

Agree on the Decathlon range.

We've got both in Stockport, just a few miles from each other. There is a big billboard slap bang opposite Decathlon's entrance, which Go Outdoors have a permanent option on for their ads!

The Decathlon range is not quite as large but it is better priced and better quality. We have a large Deacthlon faimly tent that cost £250 which has lasted much longer with less issues than Outwell or the Hi Gear product that Go Outdoors sell as thier own.

Go Outdoors a few years ago was full of employees that were outdoor enthusiasts, who really understood what you were talking about, now it seems to be whoever will do the job for the lowest wage so the customer service has suffered.

We stopped buying anything other than deal items from Go Outdoors a few years ago, around the time JD bought them as prices went up as they tried to push thier own brands rather than getting great deals on quality kit.

Afraid I'm definately a Decathlon convert, they still employ people from the sports they represent and they invest heavily on product R&D. They will also support local clubs, for our sailing club we have full wet kit for our safety and race management boats, waders for laucning our disability boats and they have sponsored youth events.

Personally I think 'PLC' broke Go Outdoors, chasing annual dividends for shareholders that don;t care about the business (why I work for a family company!).

Never used Go Outdoors. I'll go in to look at stuff and get it from somewhere else. I refuse to shop anywhere that requires a membership card to spend your money.

Never used Go Outdoors. I'll go in to look at stuff and get it from somewhere else. I refuse to shop anywhere that requires a membership card to spend your money.
It wasn't too bad years ago when they actually had good deals, but the last few years has been a joke and I moved to you position.

It wasn't too bad years ago when they actually had good deals, but the last few years has been a joke and I moved to you position.
Totally agree. I used Sheffield branch which was the first for years. The membership card was basically like a loyalty card and worked for this small business model. It's not a small business anymore so I agree is now pay to spend and needs scrapping.

Totally agree with A Bridge Too Far on Decathlon - In terms of quality, their own brand stuff is light years ahead of the GO's which is the outdoor kit equivalent of Primark. I just wish i had a Decathlon store somewhere near me - the nearest 2 are 55 odd or 70 odd miles away (Oxford or Wednesbu.

Go outdoors...at times had great bargains but never in your size....It did though tend to keep competition healthy is some areas along with Decathlon..... but what might be interesting ..is that less festival tents being thrown away going forward and people dumping cheap camping stuff At beauty spots......Always a flip side

Good camping gear is expensive .....but is designed for Durability longevity and practicality ( but I’ll miss the cheap thermals ) :cry:

Reactions: CAB
Totally agree with A Bridge Too Far on Decathlon - In terms of quality, their own brand stuff is light years ahead of the GO's which is the outdoor kit equivalent of Primark. I just wish i had a Decathlon store somewhere near me - the nearest 2 are 55 odd or 70 odd miles away (Oxford or Wednesbu.
Always a good excuse for European road trip, much bigger and wider range in France, Belgium and NL.

+1 .. same reason I not been inside their stores.
Feel sorry for anyone being redundant.

After appointing administrators, JD Sports then bought back the firm.’

Like that don’t smell fishy! :(

Surprised with all the negative comments about go outdoors. Never had any issues with them. Had a fair few items that they price matched and beat by 10% by just showing them the web page on my phone all easy and no hassle. Like decathlon but not a patch on G/O for camping gear and accessories. Hope most stores survive as they're come in useful in the past when we've been away and needed something.

Surprised with all the negative comments about go outdoors. Never had any issues with them. Had a fair few items that they price matched and beat by 10% by just showing them the web page on my phone all easy and no hassle. Like decathlon but not a patch on G/O for camping gear and accessories. Hope most stores survive as they're come in useful in the past when we've been away and needed something.

My experience of the Decathlon camping kit is that the quality is better than most on the market, especially the percieved quliaty brands such a Outwell who used to be excellent but now just seem to be overpriced.

Go outdoors was my go to place and we made specific trips when we needed stuff, but the value is no longer there and the knowledge seems to have gone. They may still price match but if thier advice is poor and you end up with the wrong thing (especially things like walking boots) you end up paying twice. when the price difference is only small, I'll pay the extra for good service..

With Decathlon you get the service and sensible pricing (although their shoes are too narrow) and at their advice I shop elsewhere for walking shoes / boots. how many shops have you gone into and they have said, our product isn't right for you, why don't you try our competitor...

Interesting in the news today;

JD sports have run the business from profit to a point it is unsustainable.
They call in the administrators.
JD Sports have bought back GO Outdoors (presumably from themselves). (Thier own info makes it sound like they are rescuing Go Outdoors).

As such they are now in a position to renegotiate rents, employees, debt etc.

Seems like a fiddle to me. Anyone they have a financial commitment to is now being forced into a negotiation.

I must add I am not a lawyer but this is what the story seems to be from the different press reports.

Interesting in the news today;

JD sports have run the business from profit to a point it is unsustainable.
They call in the administrators.
JD Sports have bought back GO Outdoors (presumably from themselves). (Thier own info makes it sound like they are rescuing Go Outdoors).

As such they are now in a position to renegotiate rents, employees, debt etc.

Seems like a fiddle to me. Anyone they have a financial commitment to is now being forced into a negotiation.

I must add I am not a lawyer but this is what the story seems to be from the different press reports.

Thats how I've interpreted all the information also. It's disgusting that this practice is legal imho.
If you put a company into administration you should be banned from buying it back to stop things like this. I for one will not be shopping at Go Outdoors.

Back