Gloss black grille

Carlos Vandango

T6 Pro
Hi all.

First thread post.

Please can someone explain how to achieve a gloss black upper and lower front grille. Trying to spec my conversion but have been told you don't get a good finish if you spray them as the original plastic material has too rough a surface. Another converter suggested replacing the original grille with a caravel grille. Not sure on that. Advice would be most welcome.

I'm trying to get a look like the one below with a single chrome strip in line with the headlights. Thanks

image.jpeg

You could look at a hydro-dip and have a gloss coating floated onto the piece. Have a look at hydro-dipping on YouTube if you've never seen it before.

Hi there, I'm new to this forum too. I finally pick up my first VW t6 today. And I shall be doing this mod in the next few weeks. I'm a ChipsAway guy, so I have full mobile spraying facilities to make this mod. I hopefully soon will be able to sell this service to other people! Also spraying wheels/spoiler/bumpers

Welcome @TimMould, I also considering this and will be reading the great advice carefully.

Cheers guys, literally just sat waiting to pick her up now. Already done loads of reading but still pretty new to this forum, already got items arriving today :thumbsup: let the modding commence. Also will do a step by step to show spraying the grilles

Hi there, I'm new to this forum too. I finally pick up my first VW t6 today. And I shall be doing this mod in the next few weeks. I'm a ChipsAway guy, so I have full mobile spraying facilities to make this mod. I hopefully soon will be able to sell this service to other people! Also spraying wheels/spoiler/bumpers
Another chips away chap. We'll have to start a team chips away area alongside the team colours:thumbsup:

Another chips away chap. We'll have to start a team chips away area alongside the team colours:thumbsup:
Haha, is there a few chipsaway lads on here? It's not actually my franchise. But I work for someone who owns Peterborough area.

Yep me. It's very time consuming doing this mod.

It doesn't photo well.

IMAG0725_1_zpsv58s867u.jpg
IMAG0175_1_zpslwb8rivd.jpg

I used the caravelles grill and glossed the middle chrome section up, glossed everything else and added the chrome step in the middle wide grill.
Same the plastic, plastic prime, 2k high build, sand back, prime again until flat, paint black then 2k lacquer.

I must have spent 5 hours doing it properly which would cost around £600 of my time.

IMAG3706_zpsekyvytac.jpg
IMAG3707_zpsvyalfksb.jpg

Yep me. It's very time consuming doing this mod.

It doesn't photo well.

View attachment 9514

I used the caravelles grill and glossed the middle chrome section up, glossed everything else and added the chrome step in the middle wide grill.
Same the plastic, plastic prime, 2k high build, sand back, prime again until flat, paint black then 2k lacquer.

I must have spent 5 hours doing it properly which would cost around £600 of my time.

View attachment 9515
View attachment 9516
It's so great @RattyMcClelland when you can do a job like that where the cost of labour is probably over 90% of a quote :):thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:. Time is big money! :cool: but there's also the Caravelle grille of course in this instance.

Cheers guys. I can now see why some of the converters are telling me it can't be done. It can, it's just is a lot of work. So am I right in thinking that the Carravelle grille is already a gloss finish.

Cheers guys. I can now see why some of the converters are telling me it can't be done. It can, it's just is a lot of work. So am I right in thinking that the Carravelle grille is already a gloss finish.

No the caravelle/sportline grill has some gloss black with the chrome but there is still some that is the original matt plastic finish as well.

It's got to be gloss. So off to the spray shop I will have to go. I'm very quickly learning that trying to find one company that can do everything you want in you conversion is near on impossible. I haven't even started on the unicorn leather seats yet :D

Back