Genuine roof bar speed limit BEWARE

Dig

VIP Member
I have some brand new vw dealership fitted Cross bars. The type that sit flush and attach to rails. Number 5 in the picture below.

I drove 200 odd miles at max 70 mph with surf boards on the roof. Anyway they came dangerously loose but I spotted it and tightened them etc etc.

vw are telling me that there is a 50 mph limit on these bars! This is all news to me as nothing on their site suggests this and I did not receive instruction boo

So has anyone else had problems with these bars?
If you have some be cautious when transporting boards.
Finally can anyone recommend cross bars that fit to rails that do not have a limit?

thanks
Paul

B710D464-C0E8-464D-80BB-9F16B294883E.png

Can you post a picture of the bars and the rails on your van. This would help us answer your question.

Thanks,

Pete

Fitted those to my van with two solar panels in between and done quite a bit of motorway driving since at high speeds without issues. They are not fitting to vw roof rails though. Did pack the bracket with rubber strips to stop any movement. Can't believe there would be a 50mph limit, that's crazy.

50mph limit is unrealistic! I've got exactly the same set up and never had any issues.

I’ve got what looks to be identical bars and rails on my van with a solar panel and I’ve not seen any issues and I’ve been travelling at more than 50mph.

Have they moved since you tightened them up - guessing that VW probably didn't fit them correctly in the first place? I've used roof bars for many years on numerous vehicles and never come across such a speed restriction and/or had problems carrying sailboards (upto 4 at a time) or roof boxes at motorway speeds plus - Thule say a maximum of 130kmh for their products.

I'd challenge the restrictions that you have been told as it doesn't sound right.

I have those. Spent an entire day at 80mph on French autoroutes with a roof box on, and no issues.

Pete

These are made by Omtec (although there are very similar looking ones from other suppliers).
The Omtec website says they are TUV approved - rails and cross bars.

Pete

These are made by Omtec (although there are very similar looking ones from other suppliers).
The Omtec website says they are TUV approved - rails and cross bars.

Pete
Looking at the photos again I can see they are different than mine.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I should have been clearer. Apparently according to vw the speed limit is for carrying surf boards. So P 20 the answer is yes. Davenjo, no they have remained tight since tightening them (another 100 miles at 70 mph). I think you are correct, the final torque wrench tightening did not take place.
I’ve bought a couple extra ratchet straps. I will attach 2 to the cross bars and 2 to the rails themselves and feedback when I get back to Blighty

I have those. Spent an entire day at 80mph on French autoroutes with a roof box on, and no issues.

Pete
I got the same set up. Fitted by VW when new. Carried loads of stuff at all speeds. Never had an issue. Must have been down to shoddy fitting.

They are all tight on my return. But they don’t half make an awful ‘graunching’ sound.
I’ve contacted omtec and will update you all

Update - Omtec have suggested to me (although they have now gone quiet) and the instructions omtec sent me which are VERY basic seem to suggest that mine are fitted backwards. I cannot find decent images online so COULD ANYONE PLS PUT SOME PICS UP OF THEIR FITTED OMTEC 1453 ELEGANCE CROSS RAILS PLS?
Thank you

FYI file:///C:/Users/Bodylogic/AppData/Local/Packages/microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe/LocalState/Files/S0/1/Attachments/Elegance%20Cross%20Bar%20Assembly%20Instruction[2034].pdf

Look on the underside of the clamping brackets - they have a L and a R embossed on them.
The bar needs to be mounted with the pointy end forwards.

Pete

Back