Full Carbon Bonnet

Anthony Ball

VIP Member
T6 Pro
6500C6CF-575F-4E3C-8F19-688211389FA5.jpeg FF707768-0D72-4B6B-9DE1-EEA01A8B5866.jpeg 279DF219-32DC-475F-8CA0-9ED0696B5142.jpeg F4FF67AA-09A5-4DB7-A3A0-7E504D386865.jpeg D6D5B24E-8DF7-4AF2-BEE0-1D430979ACF9.jpeg A9443FD0-CA65-4877-8E8D-5807F9EA72F1.jpeg After nearly 12 months in the making I have finally today fitted my full carbon fibre bonnet , full double skin utilising all original hardware , fixing points , hinges etc
I’m really pleased with the end result , fit and finish etc but there has been lots of swearing and cursing and head scratching along the way !!
I bought a brand new VW bonnet and made the moulds from this ( it was then sold for same as I paid for it ) and the Bonnet was laid up using resin infusion method , inner and outer skins are 100% carbon and bonded together so the finished article is identical to the original

Lovely job.:thumbsup:

This man is dedicated to his van, and is single and no kids I reckon :D

Lovely job.:thumbsup:

This man is dedicated to his van, and is single and no kids I reckon :D

Mrs Ball is very pleased it’s finished , and the kids are quite impressed as well !!
Tbh it was a daft thing to start , but once I’d started I couldn’t stop if you know what I mean, it’s just been odd hours here and there but it all adds up , I reckon probs about 30 hrs work in the mould and I lost count on the actual bonnet , but around 60 I would think , valuable time that has stopped me working on my GTE which is my main hobby , but I’m super happy with the results , I’m toying with having the bonnet/wing joint sprayed blue to match the van and fading in to full carbon around the swage line area ?? Thoughts ??

Yes all proper UV resistant resin , also clear coated which should help , the bonnet on my GTE has been done over a year and is not showing any signs of fading or deterioration , although admittedly it doesn’t get used everyday

Very impressive, but how would it stand up in a front on collision? I know CF is very tough, but as its part of the crumple zone, would it have a negative ( or positive) impact on the vans ability to absorb a collision.

It would just splinter, the checker board is mainly used as a light weight body ply. The twill stripe parts would be stronger at the edges especially if there in a 0/90 lay up.

It would just splinter, the checker board is mainly used as a light weight body ply. The twill stripe parts would be stronger at the edges especially if there in a 0/90 lay up.

Ok, so is that a good or a bad thing?

The top skin is 4 layers of 2\2 twill weave ( 2x 200gsm and 2x 600gsm) with the light weight spread tow on top in the centre just for looks the skin is approx 1.5mm thick , the inner is 3 layers of twill , really don’t think it will affect the crumple zone tbh , there are plenty of other cars out there with carbon bonnets so I’m not too bothered

Back