Fuel Efficiency

Wranger

Hi all,

What are the simplest and cheapest modifications I can make that will improve fuel efficiency?

I have a 2015 T6 shuttle DSG, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thank you,

Wes

you don’t say what engine you have or your tyre size?

pump the tyres up a bit..

your driving style will make the biggest difference, as soon as you over 58mph the mpg drops like a stone.

Rarely driver my camper conversion over (an indicated) 70 mph and normally drive sedately in it. My average on a run is about 42mpg. If I hit a long hill climb that affects mpg massively. If I drive it "normally" it sits in the low-mid 30's.

Wranger, I'm curious what sort of figures you're getting, I mean, were you expecting better? My SWB 4motion 140 averages 32mpg over a month of mixed driving and I read of members here getting much more, but there are so many factors at play here it's difficult to know if we should be satisfied with what we get or not. I'd be delighted with Widu's 42mpg!
I lost 5mpg immediately when I changed my van specific 16 inch tyres for a set of more off road capable 18 inch tyres, but I needed to do that because of what I use it for, it's a trade off, like you need the extra seats.
I don't think we should get too hung up about it, it can ruin your enjoyment of a great vehicle! Let's face it, we could all have saved thousands by buying a Peugeot van but we didn't.

I would agree with @Loz about speed being the main thing. My LWB Shuttle 150ps manual will do about 34mpg combined over 1500 miles, but I can get 37mpg on the motorway at 70mph. Last weekend I drove it for 500 miles on a French motorway at 80mph and got 31mpg.

Hi all,

What are the simplest and cheapest modifications I can make that will improve fuel efficiency?

I have a 2015 T6 shuttle DSG, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thank you,

Wes

Simplest and cheapest modifications. So cheap, they're free. :thumbsup:

1) As you've got a DSG, if not already activated, turn on the coasting function.

2) The Transporter has the aerodynamics of a parachute. Only drive with a tail wind. :whistle:
(Kidding).

Just my humble opinion, if you dont already do this but...

3) Lift your gaze. Most drivers allow their eyes to relax down to the patch of tarmac 22 yards ahead of their bonnet. The same separation as a pair of cricket stumps. At a modest 60 mph, you'll arrive at that patch of tarmac in about 0.75 seconds. Being in a van, your able to see over the roof tops of most of the vehicles around you. Use that to your advantage. Scan ahead and be aware the traffic behaviour that wells down the road. What are the traffic light 500 yards up the road doing? Why accelerate towards that red light? Where's my gap to get in the roundabout? It's a heavy old house brick your driving. Clog and anchor in stop/start traffic queues just wastes fuel, increases wear on the DSG, brakes and tyres and gets you there....no quicker.

Costs nowt.

(Unless you forget about the car immediately in front and run up its arse. Hence the use of the word Scan).

The Shuttle has an auxiliary coolant heater that fires up and burns diesel for a while when you start the engine in temperatures from 5°C or below. So your consumption will be higher in winter.

Lastly, dont expect miracles. Albeit it started life as Shuttle, but now as a camper, my average mpg with a mix or urban and motorway is 34mpg. 37mpg on long run at 70mph. That's checked against fill ups. Not the MFD trip computer, which just quite simply....lies.

Last edited:
@Dieseldonkey ... Clog and anchor in stop/start

What does that mean?

Clog = accelerating hard. The idea being as clogs are a bit bulky and heavy, they make you press hard on the accelerator.

Anchor = heavy braking. The sort of deceleration you'd get if you chucked an anchor out the window.

In short, no point being constantly on/off/on/off hard on the accelerator and brake. Softly softly, catchy monkey.

Now I think about it, reminds me of some advice an 'old school' pilot once gave me about flying aircraft.
'Make love to the controls'. He said 'Don't shag em!'

It was a lot of years ago @Lukavell. RAF pilot while I was air experience flying in a Chipmunk. Not sure if you'd get away with saying that sort of thing in this day and age to a 15 year old cadet. But it didn't half make laugh when he came out with it. Put me right off finals.

I find any speed over 70 mph on a motorway increases consumption a lot . Driving locally with lead shoes on ...... very bad news

I find any speed over 70 mph on a motorway increases consumption a lot . Driving locally with lead shoes on ...... very bad news

And when you cruise past a HGV doing 60 on the motorway at 80mph then see him right behind you 10 miles up the road when you get to the next traffic jam you have to ask yourself who's the winner! :unsure:

Reactions: DXX
Cruise control definitely reduces fuel consumption as does driving at less than 70mph on motorways, 55 -60 probably gives me the best fuel economy.
Transporters aren’t exactly aerodynamic but increasing the frontal area with splitters and boxy bumpers isn’t going to improve matters.
Wider tyres will also increase rolling resistance.

Talking of fuel and tyres, has anyone noticed if the fuel rating letter on tyres make much difference?

It was a lot of years ago @Lukavell. RAF pilot while I was air experience flying in a Chipmunk. Not sure if you'd get away with saying that sort of thing in this day and age to a 15 year old cadet. But it didn't half make laugh when he came out with it. Put me right off finals.

I can imagine. I was an air cadet twenty odd years ago and got up in a chipmunk a couple of times. Some of the pilots I met were right characters, didn't appreciate it as a young teenager!

Back