Front Splitter Cracking

Blindman

Blindman with a Van Vision
T6 Pro
Hi All,
After washing my van the weekend noticed that the top of my front splitter that secures to the wheel arch had cracked both sides? I've not hit anything so just checking has anybody else had this issue?
IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps someone reversed into it whilst parked??

Yeah dealer fitted, just under 12 months old, taking over to show them? but I know what they'll say "you've bumped it" I think its stress fractures in the moulding? but ill see what say.

That is a new one, i have not seen that before. There are no cracks appeared in mine yet..... surprised it has not fell of as yet i fitted it :D

Although it is filthy under there, no fractures on mine.
The funny thing is there's not actually any stress or strain on these back fixings, and you can move them up and down slightly if you wanted to. So I don't understand how they can crack like that.

Have you driven up to any high kerbs lately? My 5 series used to catch the front bumper if I parked over a kerb, and this cracked underneath after a while.
Have a look under the splitter to see if there's any damage.

20180102_173852.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had a good check all round and no damage, I’m really careful where I park it, I get out and check heights, so not sure?

I will be interested to see what VW say about this just incase it becomes a common issue. I still cannot see how they would crack though.

Looks like you hit it. Had this alot of the t5.1. I repaired a couple with the same damage from hitting a kerb and it being pushed up over the kerb.

Looks like you hit it. Had this alot of the t5.1. I repaired a couple with the same damage from hitting a kerb and it being pushed up over the kerb.

Surely if it had been hit on a kerb, it wouldn't just break the top bolted part. It's an odd breakage, and obviously something has caused it, but why didn't it break the splitter around both top and bottom bolts. I've removed mine and re-fitted it before, and these splitters are quite flexible and strong. Almost makes you wonder if there was a repair in the same areas before, and it's the previous repair that's failed.

Last edited:
It is cold at the mo so could be the plastic is going to be more brittle.

Definitely not flexible although they have some flex. They are so brittle. Imo they are utterly pants.
The top mounts take most of the support.

Back