Leighton Front End - swamper style?

yoshimi

Hi, I have a full Leighton debadged front end. It looks great. Up at Fort William last weekend for the MTB world cup and after a very dodgy offroad detour I've managed to 'pop' off the corner of the lower splitter and scratched it quit a bit along with breaking 2 of the clips holding it on. Glad I had duct tape for the 300mile jouney home.

I also have Stance X coil overs and 20" Velare wheels.

In reality, it's not exactly what I would have chosen for my MTB trips but, my circumstances and the deal I got on the van worked for me.

First off, gutted that I'll have to pay £300ish for the new splitter painted up. Maybe I could get a body shop to repair and paint but, can't see it being much cheaper.

But looking to lift the van a bit and probably go with some 17" swamper style wheels. Maybe also take the splitter off and leave it off, give me some more height but might look daft.

The current coil overs are wound up as high as they go and still too low for my liking so thinking I need to change the springs and dampers.

I understand that CRS are the goto people for suspension on here, but before I waste their time I have some questions.

Has anyone else got a Leighton Front end and lifted (not massive swamper high lift, more like standard height) their suspension and put 17" wheels on - if so any pictures, again worried it might look daft?
What (ballpark) sort of money am I looking at to replace my suspension?
Do people take off their Leighton front ends and sell them, much of a market for them? Possibility that I'd replace the front end with standard.

Thanks3ff7a0dd-2704-4500-a8bf-f67314282774.JPEGIMG_4115.JPEG

Feel your pain - I actually took the bottom leighton splitter off mine (and by took, I mean I finished taking it off after a massive puddle did the rest for me), for the same reason - I also had the leighton lowering springs when I picked up my van - its worth getting the drop measured, as mine was sitting -60mm front and -50mm rear on 40mm lowering springs... I ended up going to CRS in order to get the ride sorted, the height correct and the suspension actually working (it's night and day better) plus went with the Rogue alloys 18in with the General AT3 tyres... no issues getting into the bike parks, better MPG, not worried about the front or kerbs etc. will chuck a picture on shortly, but you wont regret it..

Hi there
Sorry to jump on post - any chance of seeing a picture of how your wheels look? Many thanks
Feel your pain - I actually took the bottom leighton splitter off mine (and by took, I mean I finished taking it off after a massive puddle did the rest for me), for the same reason - I also had the leighton lowering springs when I picked up my van - its worth getting the drop measured, as mine was sitting -60mm front and -50mm rear on 40mm lowering springs... I ended up going to CRS in order to get the ride sorted, the height correct and the suspension actually working (it's night and day better) plus went with the Rogue alloys 18in with the General AT3 tyres... no issues getting into the bike parks, better MPG, not worried about the front or kerbs etc. will chuck a picture on shortly, but you wont regret it..

I don’t have your front end but do have an aftermarket front with lip , lowered on ST-X Coilovers (CRS) with 17” Black Rhino and 235/65/17 Wildpeak AT tyres.

No issues so far anywhere with access although obviously not green laning off-road but happy with forestry type car parks (non tar mac basically) .

See image for idea of tyre wheel front end combo. It’s not too low and quite useable. I also think if you were to raise yours a bit the front end would still look good imo.

IMG_2734.jpeg

Last edited:
@Badgersuk @MrD - thats perfect, thank you!

@Badgersuk - It actually looks fine without the front splitter, I'll be ripping it off tonight now:) Also the Rougue Alloy route is what I'm thinking - your picture has really helped

I'll give @CRS Performance a shout and see what they advise.

@MrD I think it could possibly have been described as green laning, it was a very bad decision on my part but as I was convinced I was in the the right place I just went for it...in hindsight, I think the 6 hour drive and then thinking I was there clouded my judgement :oops: - I'm an idiot!

• Haha
Reactions: MrD
great news - I actually ended up with 40mm lower than stock from CRS - but they can taylor to your needs. They also measure before and after so you know the drop is what is expected. I fugured that drop was enough, but also keeps me under the 2m height but also seems (so far) to have enough clearance for fireroads/campsite tracks etc. with some careful wheel placement obviously.

Back