Front seat options?

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a 2017 T32 Highline with the std drivers and single passenger seats.

I don't find the seats that comfortable and lacking in support on country roads (they do have the adjustable lumbar support). To me they feel rather shapeless and lacking in any decent support. Having already made the decision to get rid of my 2+1 rear seats my thoughts are to sell the full set of factory seats and but a good pair of sports fronts seats (new).

I have no idea what is available though, or rather what will work in the T6. My van is currently with Slidepods ( @slidepods ) having work done which includes fitting swivel bases to both of my current seats.

Ideally I'd also like to add seat heating at the same time.

Looking for ideas and options please......:thumbsup:

Most seats can be fitted with alittle modding for the rails to sit on the baseplate (alittle box section or angle plate).

Alot of lads look out for any:
Audi RS4/5/6 seats,
S3/5 seats.
(As mentioned) Porsche tombstones
Recaro Astra/corsa VXR seats

You can even fit Landrover's own Recaro's that are fitted to the 110's

However, as you have swivels being fitted be mindful of the seats O/A width.

I agree with you @YellowHound, I find the T5/6 seats very poor for comfort and totally unsupportive and I'm always surprised when I see comments on here from people remarking how comfortable they are! I had S8 seats in my T5, with Kiravan swivels, and they were vastly better than the standard seats, though I did massively miss the armrests. It's something I'll probably pursue in the future, though I'm also thinking of getting an upholsterer to reshape and extend the existing seats if that's viable.

Bumped into a guy local to me recently who had done a caravelle conversion and had his front singles recovered with extra pieces on bottom and rear to make it more bucket seat style, looked really smart, he said he was on here so if your reading this post some pics your van looks great

Bumped into a guy local to me recently who had done a caravelle conversion and had his front singles recovered with extra pieces on bottom and rear to make it more bucket seat style, looked really smart, he said he was on here so if your reading this post some pics your van looks great

What colour bus @Pauly

Grey, caravelle rails and seats, centre console and was talking about pop top next, didn't get his name though, bumped into him in our local auto electrical/solar place as he was getting ready to do his split charge system

I understand the need for more support but some just look totally out of place in a van IMHO

Interesting - mod the existing seats? Hmmmm.....
Not interested in aesthetics for aesthetics' sake - just want some seats that have great comfort and support.

If you're on here, more details please?? :)

Interesting - mod the existing seats? Hmmmm.....
Not interested in aesthetics for aesthetics' sake - just want some seats that have great comfort and support.
Same here, I don't want them to look like the sports seats above, but I want more support at the sides. Mainly though, I find the seat squab is too short and doesn't tilt up enough at the front so that all the weight is carried on my arsebones (may not be medically correct term) and heels. I'm only 5'8" 12st as well so it's not as if I'm tall or massively overweight. I would like to keep the existing seats for aesthetics and armrests so if it's possible to mod them then that would be the preferred option. Saying that, I'd want them re-covered GTI tartan at the same time :D

Struggling to find options on this. Have tried to contact several trim companies but most have not replied. Those that have have said it's not 'possible' for them to mod the existing seats.
Jonny @slidepods posted this a while back, but I haven't yet been able to get more details - looks like it could be an ideal solution for me: IMG-20170411-WA0005-2.jpg

Have spoken to Raceline regarding the Recaros that they have on their web site but they don't offer them anymore citing not being able to find a solution to height adjustment as the reason.

Struggling to find options on this. Have tried to contact several trim companies but most have not replied. Those that have have said it's not 'possible' for them to mod the existing seats.
Jonny @slidepods posted this a while back, but I haven't yet been able to get more details - looks like it could be an ideal solution for me: View attachment 11085

Have spoken to Raceline regarding the Recaros that they have on their web site but they don't offer them anymore citing not being able to find a solution to height adjustment as the reason.
Don't like the look of that at all :speechless: Apart from having (very narrow looking) side bolsters, it looks just as bad, if not worse, than stock. Squab still way too flat and short, and the head restraint looks dreadful. Can't see those having many takers

3 weeks into ownership and loving my bus apart from seats.Trully awful.Will be interested to see where you go with this Yellowhound

We can do the recaro upgrade. Just email in for prices. We are moving workshop currently so communicarions are patcy at the moment.

We can do the recaro upgrade. Just email in for prices. We are moving workshop currently so communicarions are patcy at the moment.

Thanks Jonny. Have sent an e-mail early in the week.
Probably easiest I talk to you when I collect my van this coming Friday. Would be great to have a quote beforehand - I'm finding the std seats BAAAD!

Some people have mentioned that you can get other seats in with little modifications but how I'd this done? I've recently bought a seat from a golf mk6 but found too many difference like the belt buckle is attached to the T6 seat and can't see a way to attach it to the golf seat. Also the rails don't seem to be removable from the gold seat so totally gutted. Are there any seats you can get from other vehicles that are pretty much bolt in or easy to modify with basic tools? Instructions/pics would be great thanks.

Back