Front bumper sitting proud

rowiep

VIP Member
hi everyone
hope someone may be able to help / advise on my front bumper.
last night someone reversed into the front of my vehicle.
there is no visible damage to the front but the force has pushed the 2 ends of the bumper away from where it meets the front wheel arches.
i can claim on the other drivers insurance but i'm just wondering if this is more easily rectified and save the hassle of a claim.
i'm guessing there are hidden clips behind the bumper / wheel arch cover ?
if so could it be that some have "popped out" or will i need a new bumper ?
any advice would be appreciated
many thanks in advance

20221122_105102[1].jpg

20221122_105113[1].jpg

This shows you how the bumper is fitted. It should just be a case of removing the wheel arch fixings, pulling the bumper away from the wing, realigning the tabs as necessary, then popping everything back into place.

Last edited:

This shows you how the bumper is fitted. It should just be a case of removing the wheel arch fixings, pulling the bumper away from the wig, realigning the tabs as necessary, then popping everything back into place.
that looks much more simple than i imagined.
i'll take a look at the weekend.
many thanks for your quick response, it's relaxed me somewhat.
i had a horrible insurance experience earlier in the year with my transit which i use for work so don't want to rush down that avenue.
i'll report back on how it goes
cheers again

hi everyone
there is no visible damage to the front but the force has pushed the 2 ends of the bumper away from where it meets the front wheel arches.
i can claim on the other drivers insurance but i'm just wondering if this is more easily rectified and save the hassle of a claim.
many thanks in advance

View attachment 179974

View attachment 179975
The passenger side of my front bumper sits like your second pic. The top is broken off the mounting bracket that screws to the front wing.
The part is about £7 but I’ve not bothered doing it yet. Take your bumper off and have a look there specifically. It’s a black plastic strip that the bumper clips click into.

This Front bumper bracket VW T6 2016-2019

Last edited:
The passenger side of my front bumper sits like your second pic. The top is broken off the mounting bracket that screws to the front wing.
The part is about £7 but I’ve not bothered doing it yet. Take your bumper off and have a look there specifically. It’s a black plastic strip that the bumper clips click into.

This Front bumper bracket VW T6 2016-2019
i managed a bit more investigation at the weekend. the bracket you showed is loose (probably damaged as well but i stopped at this point)
i have attached pictures of the part of the bumper which is held by that bracket.
one of the slots is actually broken on the end of the bumper.
if the bracket was replaced is it likely that the bumper would go back into place properly or do you (or anyone else for that matter) think the bumper needs to be renewed ?
cheers

20221127_145712[1].jpg

20221127_145743[1].jpg

I've had this on my caddy, the brackets are well known for becoming brittle especially if the bumper has been removed multiple times. The tabs can be plastic welded if you are confident in trying that..there's videos on YouTube of how it's done

If I’d done the damage myself then I’d be plastic welding it and replacing brackets and stuff, but as someone else has caused the damage, and both sides of the bumper have pushed away from the wings then there’s a chance that other things could be damaged behind the bumper.
I think it’s time to put it through the other person’s insurance.

If I’d done the damage myself then I’d be plastic welding it and replacing brackets and stuff, but as someone else has caused the damage, and both sides of the bumper have pushed away from the wings then there’s a chance that other things could be damaged behind the bumper.
I think it’s time to put it through the other person’s insurance.
apologies for not replying sooner, i've been tied up with lots of "stuff". i really could do without having to sort this out as well !!

thanks for that. i'm coming round to thinking that myself.
just out of interest, do you know if the insurance would replace the bumper with a genuine VW one or a patern part ?

does anyone know the cost of either ?
cheers

apologies for not replying sooner, i've been tied up with lots of "stuff". i really could do without having to sort this out as well !!

thanks for that. i'm coming round to thinking that myself.
just out of interest, do you know if the insurance would replace the bumper with a genuine VW one or a patern part ?

does anyone know the cost of either ?
cheers
I’ve not made an insurance claim for many many years (20?) but I’m sure you can chose the repairer and therefore go to a VW approved repairer and ensure they use original parts.

if you have genuine VW now then any claim should be "like for like" so genuine VW otherwise you could argue you are at a loss

hi everyone
many thanks in advance

View attachment 179974

View attachment 179975
Looking at the pics it may need to be removed and refitted as it looks as it may have jumped off a phew of the clips that aligned it from behind also on the side where it is proud of the wing near the wheel you may have a clip that’s popped out hope this helps

Looking at the pics it may need to be removed and refitted as it looks as it may have jumped off a phew of the clips that aligned it from behind also on the side where it is proud of the wing near the wheel you may have a clip that’s popped out hope this helps
sorted it. thanks for your message though

Back