Friday afternoon kombi

tjr

ok here's another one ! I previously owned a t5 caravelle , in my new t6 kombi , the brakes seem to be really noisy on gentle braking ( it almost sounds like pads are worn to metal ) I had it inspected at local vw van centre. All was said to be ok , with this advice " the brakes on the new t6 are a different formula , with more metal in them than previously , this can cause them to be a bit noisier And also causes increased wear "
That's a quote ! , I was wondering if it's just due to the fact that there's less sound proofing in the kombi ( especially around the rear arches where most of the noise seems to be coming from , no foreign bodies in brakes , brakes work fine , just noisy under gentle braking ( you know how they sound the first time you use the van after it's been stood for a while , like the discs are lightly corroded ! Any ideas ? Am I being over sensitive to the noise ? No unusual smells or anything associated with it , just sound a bit graunchy !
Any ideas ( or have I got a Friday afternoon van , after a wet lunch !) just over 3k miles

I have the same issue with the noisey brakes on my own T6 Kombi, and was also the same with the 180 DSG 4-Mo that I was loaned for 2 weeks in January.

That's a good description of the sound, seems very metallic to me. But I don't have the time or energy at the moment to go back to the dealer with more snags :(

(I'm getting mine lined in a couple of weeks - I am hoping that I don't hear it anymore. In an 'ignorance is bliss' kind of way)

Hi all, this is my first post on this site. I bought a six month old T6 SWB Kombi 4 motion 140 manual at the end of December and it's just done 5k. I have owned several cars over the years and this is my first van. I have noticed exactly what TJ is describing. I would add that that the brakes seem to stick if I haven't used it for a couple of days also. I have just had the rear of the van insulated and carpet lined hoping to make the road / brake noise less but it hasn't made that much differenc to the noise, although the overall appearance is much nicer.
Prior to taking in the van for lining there was a very annoying squeak coming from the rear which I thought was from one of the panels. Once lined the squeak remained !!! I've then found the noise is coming from the rear tailgate. I've searched the forum and can't find anyone else having the same issue and I'm wondering if it's worth taking it in or just spraying DW40 everywhere to see if it stops in the first place. Thanks Phill

What is squeaking in the tailgate? Lock mech, hinges?
I have a tailgate on my kombi and can't say I have ever heard it squeak.
I squeaked when I pulled it down on top of my head one time; but the tailgate hasn't.

Hi there thanks for the reply. Having finally found out today that the squeak was coming from the tailgate area I sat in the back whilst my partner drove it up and down a private lane (Very slowly) to pin point the noise. It seems to come from the bottom of the tailgate as when I pushed hard against it from the inside the noise stopped so most probably it's coming from the locking mechanism area, it's been driving me nuts !!!

I had that on another vehicle, and occasionally get it in the Kombi. I smeared a bit of grease on the catch - problem sorted

Hi all, this is my first post on this site. I bought a six month old T6 SWB Kombi 4 motion 140 manual at the end of December and it's just done 5k. I have owned several cars over the years and this is my first van. I have noticed exactly what TJ is describing. I would add that that the brakes seem to stick if I haven't used it for a couple of days also. I have just had the rear of the van insulated and carpet lined hoping to make the road / brake noise less but it hasn't made that much differenc to the noise, although the overall appearance is much nicer.
Prior to taking in the van for lining there was a very annoying squeak coming from the rear which I thought was from one of the panels. Once lined the squeak remained !!! I've then found the noise is coming from the rear tailgate. I've searched the forum and can't find anyone else having the same issue and I'm wondering if it's worth taking it in or just spraying DW40 everywhere to see if it stops in the first place. Thanks Phill
Hi @Phill Lewis I've just picked mine up from dealers having had exactly what you described. They apparently adjusted the locking mechanism and have had a couple like it.

My rear had been squeaking/rubbing somewhere for a while. Thought is was suspension. Van in for first inspection today. They realigned the tailgate and had to remove the taillights to do it. Problem solved. Relative peace is resumed! As an aside had a V6 4Motion DSG 67 plate amorak courtesy car - flippin' quick truck!!! far better than the Isuzu DMax I drive regualrly. Really impressed. Very refined. Would love VW to do a T6 with that diesel V6 and a DSG!

My old T5.1 Kombi had a squeaky / rattly tailgte which drove me mad on occasion.

Turned out to be the floor catch that had worked loose - once tightened & realigned all was fine

Back