Fitting The First Solar Panel

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Sorry to ask newbie questions but I’m a self confessed numpty when it comes to auto electrickery. I’m seeing someone about sticking a solar panel on the roof of my van tomorrow and just wanted to get my ducks in a row before then. The current 12V system in my van consists of a Ctek D250SA DC-DC charger along with a Victron Bluesmart charger and a 110 Ah leisure battery. I also tend to leave the van plugged into the mains most of the time and have a CTEK MX5 connected to the starter battery whenever on EHU. When not on EHU, the leisure battery supplies a Dometic CRX50 fridge, 6 LED ceiling lights, a 12V TV and the usual phone / Ipad charging.

Having read a lot of stuff here on T6F, I reckon a 150W panel should do the job which, as I understand it, can be connected straight to the Ctek D250 and will then charge the leisure battery as well as give a trickle charge to the starter battery when the leisure is full. BUT, do I need anything else? It also occurs to me that it might also be nice to think ahead a bit and make provision for connecting another solar panel in the future. However, for that one, I’m thinking of something more like a 100W folding / briefcase panel which can be connected as and when required. Is it easy enough to have a socket fitted whilst the main panel job is being done which then allows the second panel to plugged in and unplugged? Alternatively would be an easy enough to do the same later on. I ask because I'm not yet really sure whether we will ever actually need the second panel.

Being an idiot, I’m also a bit confused by the input limit of the Ctek D250SA which the manual indicates to be 11.5 to 23V / 25A. As an example, I had a look at Photonic Universe 150W fixed and 100W folding panels which indicates that the combined amps total should be OK whereas the voltage might be too much but, as I indicated above, I really don’t know much about all this stuff!
12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine
and
12V solar panels charging kits for caravans, motorhomes, boats, yachts, marine

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry that this went on a bit.

You can connect both those panels in parallel to the CTEK and still remain below the 23v limit. Those panels have an open circuit voltage of 21.1v and 21.6v. Probably a bit over kill though unless your planning on extended periods of camping without EHU

Deaky, Thanks for that. I thought it might be overkill which is why I intended leaving it until later to make a decision based on experience of use but it's good to get confirmation. Just in case, do you know how would the second panel could be connected if needed - would the plug and unplug thing work?

I don't suppose that anyones got any last minute comments or advice on this one please? Apologies for the hastener but I'm off to talk to a potential fitter later this morning. It's my own fault for leaving it until the last minute!

Dell, Thanks for that - I actually managed to read most of that stuff before my brain exploded (as I said earlier, I'm an idiot where electrickery is concerned).

I have a 140W panel with 2x45Ah lead acid batteries, CRX50 fridge, LED lights, Wallas XC Duo, use van radio, charge phones. IPad, etc.
In 2 years of regular all season use I’ve probably needed to start the engine 3 times for approx’ 3 minutes to get the leisure battery voltage up to start the Wallas. That’s always been on the second day stationary in winter with very overcast conditions.
Personally I don’t think I need anymore capacity as it’s such a rare occurrence.

The idea of having a separate solar panel that you can plug in is good. This is precisely what we do, as we don't need a solar panel about 80% of the time.

Pete

Back