Fitting Ply to a T6 Kombi tailgate window panel.. Any suggestions?

When i purchased my van i had a hell of a job getting my panel off as it was glued on!
I've also seen them glued and held on with plastic cupboard fixing blocks but that means drilling holes :oops:

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 12.15.48.png

Bond some 9mm ply to the double skin around the edge of the window, and then screw into this.
You do not need to do the sides...because of the curve the sides will be under pressure when fixed.
I don't do the sides as the recess is much thinner compared to top and bottom.
If you take a look it should make sense.

Bond some 9mm ply to the double skin around the edge of the window, and then screw into this.
You do not need to do the sides...because of the curve the sides will be under pressure when fixed.
I don't do the sides as the recess is much thinner compared to top and bottom.
If you take a look it should make sense.
Thanks for the info. I don't suppose you have any images you can share?

Thanks for the info. I don't suppose you have any images you can share?
Sorry I don't. But from the TOP of my head it's 50mm x 20mm strips. Bond to inner skin, about 5 strips on bottom and 5 on top.
When cured, fix panel using suitable short screws ( put making tape on outer edge to mark batten position)
If panel is in carpet, with new blade put a 10mm cut, carefully peel back and put screw in. Carpet will normally stick back over screw. If not carefully all ply a little extra.
Need to remove panel later ? Run magnet to find screws

Also, if choc blocks used, trying adding thicker packers to pack the panel further away. This can sometimes hide any holes from commercial ply lining.
Hope this helps clear it up.

Back