Fishermen’s corner

The Flying Scotsman

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve noted that a lot of us campers like to do a bit fishing on our travels.
I thought this might be a decent thread for us fishermen and woman (no fisherthems :p ) to post up pics and stories of anything to do with fishing.
This might be a fish you’ve caught and are chuffed with,
Pics of a beautiful fishing spot,
A special day on the water,
New rod,
Fly you’ve tied,
Funny fishing stories,
Fishing jokes,
Anything fishing related.
I will kick things off with a pic from my best days fishing ever.
It was a couple of years ago when my laddie was 16 and I took him camping and fishing up the Spey.
I taught him to fly fish for trout when he was young and then taught him to Spey cast so he could come after the salmon with me. He’s naturally talented at it and could become very good at it if he spent more time on the river and less time in bed with some young lass :slow rofl:
I dare say he will come back once the novelty wears off.
He landed this salmon around 16lb fly fishing left hand up with a big 15ft rod.

IMG_1243.pngIMG_1217.jpeg

We go to Eye Kettleby Lakes every year. The camping facilities are great with seven or so lakes on site. Day ticket prices are reasonable and I’ve always had good days on the carp. I don’t fish the specimen lakes as the general lakes have plenty of sport.IMG_2688.jpeg

My fish stock is dwindiling.... f*****g Otters! :mad:

View attachment 225607

But Vigo seems to be scaring the Herons away! :waving:

View attachment 225608
There’s not a lot you can do other than fit otter wire mesh right around the pond. They are protected here.
My pal was the manager of the trout fishery up the road from me where I taught my kids to fly fish.
He used to let us fish the specimen pond catch and release with barbless hooks for free. Lots of big trout in there.
He was raging with the otters.
One dog otter a big bugger often turned up and would target the most expensive big triploid trout.
He would whip out 3 or 4 at a time and just eat the brains leaving the whole rest of the fish lying on the bank.
My pal wouldn’t have minded so much if it took a fish even a big one every now and then and ate the whole thing.

They have been considered a nuisance around here for a while now as the local protection and breeding programme was so successful, and of course there are no known predators to keep the numbers down.
I have a netted fence and electrified too which keeps them at bay until it grounds out every now and again and then the Otters pounce....like they are watching and waiting in the surrounding field hedgeline.
I guess its just natures way and if it happens it happens...one of the pitfalls of having a pond which attracts the wildlife.
On a nice note we have had Kingfishers and an Osprey dived in a couple of times.....even the odd Shag on the pond too!! :p:uh run:

What a horrific thought, having a pond with Kingfishers and Ospreys.... said nobody, ever! Our garage floods when it rains, no shags in there either!
One of the delights of narrowboating is with a long boat the bow is a long way from the noisy bit and being walking pace there is little water noise. That means you almost always surprise the local wildlife so it's a lovely place to sit with a drink and I've been lucky enough to see Kingfishers very close and take prey from the canal. Only thing that seems to keep them away is if you spend your time with a camera ready...

I also once had a migrating Osprey take a fish from the water a few feet from me when I was dinghy sailing on a lake - it's a moment I've never forgotten.

One of the delights of narrowboating is with a long boat the bow is a long way from the noisy bit and being walking pace there is little water noise. That means you almost always surprise the local wildlife so it's a lovely place to sit with a drink and I've been lucky enough to see Kingfishers very close and take prey from the canal. Only thing that seems to keep them away is if you spend your time with a camera ready...

I also once had a migrating Osprey take a fish from the water a few feet from me when I was dinghy sailing on a lake - it's a moment I've never forgotten.
There’s a trout fishery near Dunkeld called butterstone loch. It’s right next to the loch of the lowes osprey nature reserve.
With being stocked with trout it was the osprey’s favourite place to hunt.
We would be sitting in a wee boat fishing and the osprey’s would dive 30ft from the boat to take fish.
Like you said it truly is a spectacular sight. I’ve seen them do this many times and i never tire of it.
I also see them hunting a lot when I’m on the river fishing. Mainly the Spey. But seen them all over.
I ran a wee fishing boat in the Tay estuary for a long time and would fly fish for the sea trout and would see them there often as well.
I once watched a sea eagle come down and take a duck out there too.
It made light work of it.

IMG_4310.jpeg

Australian southern rivers and lakes have brown and rainbow trout. They were introduced in the 1800s. My father was a keen fly fisherman so many early holidays were spent camping by trout streams.

Australian southern rivers and lakes have brown and rainbow trout. They were introduced in the 1800s. My father was a keen fly fisherman so many early holidays were spent camping by trout streams.
I’m hoping with getting my young lad into fishing it was something we could always do to spend some together.
I would love for him to take me out when I’m older.

Back