First sign of wear

GoatBoater

Senior Nerd
T6 Guru
As some know, my T6 has done a few more miles that most. I think that this makes me the point guard for potential issues!

I have discovered the first (not serious). The sliding door doesn't close that well. When you close it the trailing end doesn't always close flush. We've had one incident of having everyone flash and wave on a motorway as I do my impression of a Huey flying over 'Nam.

If you give it a press on the trailing edge as you close it then it is fine, but it is still annoying. I feel like this should be easy to fix/adjust, but I am not the most mechanically minded person and am not sure. Any ideas?

How many miles have you done? Sorry can't help with the door adjustment, surely a job for VW though?

Unfortunately it's a common problem on the side door, take a hefty shove to get it closed in one go, the only way to make it easier is to push the rear of the door in while closing it or have another door or a window open to let the air pressure out

Could it be an issue of lack of grease on the mechanism?

At the risk of crashing the thread... Any one had these issues that I have with the sliders?
1) Slight weep at the top of the drivers side sliding door seal
2) Bottom latch on passenger side doesn't always release when you pull the handle from the outside. Thought it was because I put the kiddy lock on but doesn't make a difference.

In all my years of vans the side and some rear doors , you will always have this problems closing them. As Paul says the only cure is Brut force or allowing the air escape..... The best fix is power latching or electric closing :D

How many miles have you done? Sorry can't help with the door adjustment, surely a job for VW though?
63k although still within warranty

Air escaping is an interesting point. If it ever stops raining I will try it with the tailgate option. Failing that it just sounds like I might need to beef up a bit.

My sliding door needs a good shove at the back to close it properly...it's a nightmare to close from the inside in the middle of the night on a quiet campsite when you've been for a wee...

Well they recommend having s window open when you close a pop top so that makes sense.
Fit window deflectors and have the window down an inch maybe?

All, I was told by the dealer where I bought my van and my conversion guy to NEVER give a shove at the back as it risks denting the panel. Easy solution here is to open the passenger door slightly before you close the slider.... works every time and you then only need a soft close rather than a slam. There's too much air pressure inside otherwise for the door to shut easily. It's the same with the poptop.....always needs a door or window open.

Well, no doors an windows in the back at the moment and I haven't removed the bulkhead yet. I'll try with the tailgate though.

Could be wrong here, but I think it's to do with ply lining etc covering the vents in the original linings, if you look at the original panels they have holes in the bottom near the tailgate I was told they're slam vents??

Back