Fiamma Awnings Question

bramble

It say's in the instruction book that it is really for sun protection and not for rain protection . Was rather hoping it would be doing both for us , just would like to know if you guys do both and just dry it if it's an issue with Fiamma cheers .

I'm expecting / will be using it to be for both rain and sun, bought the centre bar to stop water pooling on top, i thought i'd read somewhere you can put it away wet, not an issue, happy to be proven wrong though

As above..... and as @Davenjo has already quoted.....
It’s brilliant, both in sun and rain.
We just drop one leg to allow water to run off rather than pool.
If I’m alert enough - wine/gin permitting- I do try and collect it to wash bits of the van!
(Eco friendly etc!)

The main danger with Fiamma is the wind.... even with tie downs... there’s a danger of wind
lifting the Fiamma like a sail.

That's what i wanted to hear ...will do exactly as you both do .
Don't see the point in having one if it's not for rain protection ....daft thing is, i wouldn't bother having it if it wasn't for rain protection .
Hells Bells it rains more than sunshine anyway .....is this company based in Ethiopia for christ sake

@bramble
You won't be disappointed .... it feels great if warm and raining .... get a good beer, or Gin
and sit smugly under your awning.
T shirt/shorts/Haviannas and kick back!!
:smile bounce:

if ours gets wet we just treat it like a tent and dry it out at home, but we certainly use it in all weathers,
as has been said just lower one leg if it rains to prevent puddling

Another happy bunny here, very waterproof.

NB Water has a habit of drizzling down the roof onto the slider area when you are sitting in the step so make sure that you buy the insert that goes between the van and the awning, easy to self fit and does the job well.

Oh and lower the rear end leg for draining, the front one can be then set high so that the door just opens beneath it, mind the paint though.

Another happy bunny here, very waterproof.

NB Water has a habit of drizzling down the roof onto the slider area when you are sitting in the step so make sure that you buy the insert that goes between the van and the awning, easy to self fit and does the job well.

Oh and lower the rear end leg for draining, the front one can be then set high so that the door just opens beneath it, mind the paint though.

To fill the little gap inbetween the awning and the van use pipe insulation (the foam lengths you can get to insulate your water pipes with a slit along the length) cost pennies and works a treat.

KIT RAIN GUARD VANFor awnings F45s and F35 Pro installed on Campervans spaced out from the wall.
Length 300 cm.
guarnizioni-rain-guardrain-guard-988.jpg

guarnizioni-rain-guardrain-guard-717.jpg

we bought this

To fill the little gap inbetween the awning and the van use pipe insulation (the foam lengths you can get to insulate your water pipes with a slit along the length) cost pennies and works a treat.

What? Use a bit of pipe foam on my lovely T6 ..... Noooooooooo!

2714D0EF-863E-42CC-BEC6-F9DAED228EE0.jpeg View attachment 20179
What? Use a bit of pipe foam on my lovely T6 ..... Noooooooooo!

Haha, that strip of Fiamma rubber is £70 which is outrageous, but what is worth while buying is the curved rafter pro which not only stops it flapping but stops water pooling so you don’t need to drop a leg. It’s only £42 and works a treat.

View attachment 20180 View attachment 20179

Haha, that strip of Fiamma rubber is £70 which is outrageous, but what is worth while buying is the curved rafter pro which not only stops it flapping but stops water pooling so you don’t need to drop a leg. It’s only £42 and works a treat.
I'd be worried about the curved rafter stretching the fabric after a while meaning that you have to use it all of the time? As far as flapping goes we find the tie down kit that goes into the c channels works very well to apply tension and reduce the flapping.

I'd be worried about the curved rafter stretching the fabric after a while meaning that you have to use it all of the time? As far as flapping goes we find the tie down kit that goes into the c channels works very well to apply tension and reduce the flapping.

After, several times now, watched an awning get blown over the roof of a van with a small unexpected gust of wind we always use that tie down kit you describe without fail and would strongly recommend that everyone uses one.

I've had a few Fiamma awnings and used them in sun and rain with all of the caveats quoted above. BUT we were caught out in torrential rain whilst at the VW meet at Lavenham in 2016 when the rain overcame my lowering of one leg and collapsed the awning destroying one arm! The outcome was a new awning at best part of £500 (3 metre F45S)!!

The damaged awning is currently on eBay (Fiamma F45S 3 metre awning - damaged spares or repair | eBay) as spares or repair.

I've also had one turn turtle in a gust of wind before I could get the tie-downs in place.

Moral of story, don't get complacent, wind the awning in if in doubt about the weather.

Rod

I agree with Rod above, if in doubt weather wise wind it in, it only takes seconds, with regards to the ( rain guard kit) yes it is expensive but it works a treat and is a one time purchase, why spend thousands to buy the van, hundreds to buy the awning then skimp on a necessary bit of kit, treat yourself

I agree with Rod above, if in doubt weather wise wind it in, it only takes seconds, with regards to the ( rain guard kit) yes it is expensive but it works a treat and is a one time purchase, why spend thousands to buy the van, hundreds to buy the awning then skimp on a necessary bit of kit, treat yourself
Hi Jasper, does the rain guard stay on the van permanently? Thanks

Back