External Thermal Screen And Paintwork

Kwp0906

T6 Pro
I'm looking at getting an external thermal screen (either rainbow or silverscreen) and wondered if they leave marks on the paintwork from rubbing against it or if they fitted tightly enough to not not move about in the wind

I'm looking at getting an external thermal screen (either rainbow or silverscreen) and wondered if they leave marks on the paintwork from rubbing against it or if they fitted tightly enough to not not move about in the wind
I have been using these for 3 years and they have not left any marks whatsoever Minster Products Ltd

I Restore Motorhome exteriors surfaces for a living, and we see the damage caused by screen covers on paintwork all the time, but only in certain circumstances.
Firstly if you use a cover of any kind and put this cover over paintwork that isn't perfectly clean, the dust and dirt will act as an abrasive if the cover moves around in the wind, and will damage the paint .

The second reason they damage is not really relevant on a modern vehicle, but it's something that's very common in my industry. It's where the paint oxidises, and a cover is used. This creates what's known as 'Tiger stripe' The cover will again move around in the wind, and polish tiny parts of the oxidation off, leaving the paint surface looking like it's covered in stripes in sunlight.

Lastly, we have come across things like bonnet bra's that have been so tight, that they leave the pattern of the inside of the bra into the lacquer of the bonnet, but this is from using one for a prolonged period of time.

Basically, if the vehicle is clean when you fit the cover, and you use common sense with any straps that are tight against paintwork, you should be fine.

Another vote for Minster - ours have soft fabric strips which tie round the door handles for security, but Minster also fitted pouches along the bottom of the cab windows to hold small magnets, which hold the screens tight to the bodywork without marking it, in high winds. These aren't standard, but Minster are happy to customise screens, and will make them for special vehicles like A-Class windscreens, While-U-Wait. Good company to deal with.

Back