Just an update in case anyone else has the same.

A few days ago rang VW Assist who asked if it was running roughly - if it wasn't then they won't have a look at it. Seems it started 'running roughly' for a few seconds so they grudgingly sent someone out.

The VW Assist guy came to look at it and said he didn't know why they argued the case as an engine light should always be looked at and, by the way, this error on this van won't make the van 'run roughly' - so oops (my imagination runs wild sometimes). He said they have been getting a few similar cases. Just run it and watch the oil/engine temps - just in case.

Booked it in with local VW dealer (14 days wait) but they obviously wouldn't commit to whether it was still ok to drive.
A few days later and after a half hour spin, light has gone out again.
I'll give it a couple days then if light stays off, I'll cancel the appointment.

Will update if any updates.
Its not your EGR unit? They are notoriously glitchy and over sensitive on VW and essentially alot of the time its because a little bit of soot/carbon has got into the valve head seat so it doest close properly and bobs your uncle, warning light.

Have you tried using premium fuel and a carbon dissolving additive when you fill up? My light goes off when I do this.
Comes back when I start using cheap diesel again.

That is annoying - would expect more for a 'high end' vehicle.
All dealers are not created equal.
Would it be rude to start a thread with recommendations of dealers (or non-recommendations?)
Well I dont think you can trash a dealer because there's inherent issues with VW.
I think saying VW transporters are 'high end' is a bit of a stretch too.......in my 25 years experience, aside from anything French or Italian they are the most problematic vehicles I've ever worked on for warning lights and minor issues.
High priced doesn't mean high quality lol... thats the VW myth.

No - not EGR unit. They changed the Coolant Valve 'A' and all is well now.

I was trashing the dealer because they couldn't be bothered to plug in their computer to see if there was a fault. All the more reason if they know that the valve is an inherent issue. Trying to fob off a van that is under warranty with a known issue and showing that issue (yes, it does have an intermittent warning light) in my tiny humble opinion means they can be trashed - in this instance.

Ok - VW high end - maybe, maybe not. For me, high end. Best van drive I've had. Most comfortable. Defo above mid range.
Not sure what would be mid range - Stellantis?
I can completely agree with you about the warning lights, minor issues and problematics. They are a bit too gimmicky but that seems to be what the peoples want so that is what the peoples get. I take my hat off to you if you work on these little divas.

Yeah I hear you.
Oh I started on air-cooled T1 and made my way up to T6 vans. Its the Cult of VW that people buy, the vans themselves are absolutely shite. They're good for one thing....long journeys down motorways, thats about it.
I have a T6 as an everyday driver and as much as I love having it, its falling to bits, I reckon I spend close to 1k a year average keeping it on the road.
VW carry a premium price tag and people love it, they literally buy earrings with the vw logo on....its like a mad zombie cult that started with the lie that VW is cool

I'm not sure if I made a good decision with the 6.1.
Looking forward to experiencing EGR, DPF, general random warning lights, replacing £200 wing mirrors etc etc a couple of months after warranty runs out.
Like you said - great for motorways.
I do 90% shorter journeys (less than half hour).
My last van was T4. Great little tractor but when chassis started showing corrosion (MOT), it was time up.
Didn't like that after driving it, was hobbling about like a 120 year old till blood started circulating below ankles.
Also didn't like that clutch went on day out on wife's birthday - so any journey after that I was getting 'the eye'.

This 6.1 - I jump out of it refreshed and non achy. More comfy than bed.
Not sure why VW has a fan club though. Sort of remember where it comes from and how the first ones were produced and more recent scandals.
Even got me to sign some sort of disclaimer about emissions before allowing me to drive it off the forecourt.

Back