Estate car? Van?

BAZT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
When does a T6 become an estate car, mine is a van with side windows and has now got three seats in the back. Tax class at present is disabled which is how the van was brought, wheel chair lift has been removed. I will have to get it reclassified when its ready to use. As an estate the van can go to the tip with no problems, I know thats sad but the wifes A1 is to small for this job. Any advice would be appreciated. Baz

When does a T6 become an estate car, mine is a van with side windows and has now got three seats in the back. Tax class at present is disabled which is how the van was brought, wheel chair lift has been removed. I will have to get it reclassified when its ready to use. As an estate the van can go to the tip with no problems, I know thats sad but the wifes A1 is to small for this job. Any advice would be appreciated. Baz
My T6 Caravel Executive 4Motion, is not considered a commercial vehicle by classification, it is a car or passenger vehicle. As far as yours is concerned I do not know. Others on here I am sure can provide better advice but it is a little late now. You may need to wait until tomorrow for a better discussion about this.

When does a T6 become an estate car, mine is a van with side windows and has now got three seats in the back. Tax class at present is disabled which is how the van was brought, wheel chair lift has been removed. I will have to get it reclassified when its ready to use.

As an estate the van can go to the tip with no problems, I know thats sad but the wifes A1 is to small for this job.

Any advice would be appreciated. Baz
Baz I had a little bit of kickback when I visited the top in the early stages of my conversion. Most were happy once the van had side-windows, and all staff stopped their van-related questions one seats were fitted. I’d never taken my logbook with me, so they would not have known it was, and still is, classed as a van with side-windows

As for the DVLA and the tax codes, I’m not sure.

Where I live there doesn’t appear to be much consistency within different tips in the same local authority. I’ve even see the ‘team’ at one tip arguing between each other over the rules at the same tip.
I apply three rules.
1. Arrive at tip during their tea break, nothing gets them out of the portakabin at this point.
2. Never ask for the advertised ‘assistance’, this is regarded as an act of provocation.
3. Look like you are in a hurry and ask no questions.

Baz I had a little bit of kickback when I visited the top in the early stages of my conversion. Most were happy once the van had side-windows, and all staff stopped their van-related questions one seats were fitted. I’d never taken my logbook with me, so they would not have known it was, and still is, classed as a van with side-windows

As for the DVLA and the tax codes, I’m not sure.
I wonder if BAZT6 question may be for concern for speed limits. A similar theme to a long thread on Van speed limit?

Re Tip I phoned the council regarding my 8 seat window van and they said I needed a permit. I duly applied for and received said permit and placed it behind my sun visor and it has been there ever since. I have been to the tip several times and never been asked.

Ian

Unlike rules around speed limits-
Local authority waste depots can impose whatever restrictions they wish.
They could turn away any vehicle type just because they can.

So, check your local restrictions.

Where I live there doesn’t appear to be much consistency within different tips in the same local authority. I’ve even see the ‘team’ at one tip arguing between each other over the rules at the same tip.
I apply three rules.
1. Arrive at tip during their tea break, nothing gets them out of the portakabin at this point.
2. Never ask for the advertised ‘assistance’, this is regarded as an act of provocation.
3. Look like you are in a hurry and ask no questions.
4. Don't wear your building company logo'd sweater.
5. Don't say, "it's fibre cement board, I think, I don't think it's asbestos."

:rofl:

Unlike rules around speed limits-
Local authority waste depots can impose whatever restrictions they wish.
They could turn away any vehicle type just because they can.

So, check your local restrictions.
Could? They do!

....to round up the team/staff/operatives (or whatever woke-friendly term is currently in vogue!)
Recycling Consultant Engineers. The last two terms, really used to mean something and needed appropriate further Post Graduate degrees and considerable relevant experience.

Sorry guys I’m not having it. I’m happy to stick up for the waste depots.
Bloody whingers, heh heh!
:rofl:

The variance in local rules is only an issue or remotely confusing if for some odd reason you chose to use more than one site away from where you live. Why would you do that?

Your council tax only pays for your own area’s site, it’s not national, local authorities have to pay landfill charges you know!

Where I live, the Harrow sites were so good at taking stuff and helping folks unload that they attracted folks from elsewhere and we had queues causing traffic jams.

To resolve that now we have to bring ID, and guess what - the chancers from other areas have disappeared, and hey still busy but no queues.

It used to cost me to dispose of their bloomin’ waste

Flytipping is illegal and to me it’s abhorrent, use your local site.
I’ll only accept the contributing factor IF sites are closed or have restricted hours and sadly that IMHO is a contributing factor, but hey you voted the bu66ers in.

Check and get to know your local site rules then, hey suddenly it’s not hard!

And off soapbox

:laugh:

Last edited:
Hiya,
I understand and acknowledge the points you make. I know and comply with the rules, having been a regular user. I continue to comply with the rules. Most of my comments above are simply wry observations.
However, the rule changes have made things very difficult: only one visit a week allowed; visiting slots released only days in advance; “socially distancing” the vehicles within the site but not the movement of people (because cars give you Covid, right?) I am even content to pay the surcharges on applicable waste.
To discount a correlation of these changes with the increase in flytipping is to deny reality. My hard-earned tax is helping fund the recycling centre and also fund the cleanup of fly-tipping on public land. (The unlucky private landowner who is a victim of flytipping has to fund clearing it up.)
I am even less inclined to entertain the arguments of the multi-million pound profit generating private recycling operators who tendered to operate the centres yet now seek to “throttle” the volume of different types of waste they can accept “because China doesn’t want paper anymore”. Why am I being invited to underwrite their business risk?
I have no issue with anyone occupying a soapbox now and again, especially if they let me up beside them occasionally!
I still enjoy observing local government locate its foot before pulling the trigger.

Back