Estate car? Van?

At my local recycling centre you cannot take a commercial vehicle in unless you have a permit or you're mates with the chaps who work there, so when I wanted to take half a dozen old fence posts and six foot panels in, I went online to get a permit.
A van less than 3.5 tonnes? tick!
Not signwritten? tick!
Waste from your own private address? tick!
Jackpot! You qualify for a permit!!
I felt jubilant!
Then I read the conditions. I could take a maximum of 2 posts and 2 panels!
What a waste of time. I spoke to a farmer friend and burnt them on his field, the system doesn't help us to be environmentally friendly.

I rock up with a Cali and trailer (under 6’ of course) and there is no issue! (A California is still a van really!) However, I couldn’t return within a week!!!

apologies for taking post off topic!

The question re tax classification is to know what class I should try to get the van taxed as. At the moment it is disabled on the log book, tail lift and anchor points have been removed and 3 seats fitted in the back. The van has got windows down both sides. Which must make it very close to being a Kombi or estate car. I dont mind paying for a permit for the tip if I have to, but I have contributed enough in taxes to Dover council. At the Dover tip now they charge you £7 per sheets worth of Gyproc which is about the same price of a new sheet. This can be recycled so as said above someone is making a lot of money out of this. Rubble is charged by weight. Some of the guys are pretty good and loose count on how much you have put in the bin. Still by appointment, I think you can have 2 slots a month, neighbor thought he was being clever by booking his slots in different peoples names but he got pulled for going in the same car all the time. What are people paying for permits? Baz

The question re tax classification is to know what class I should try to get the van taxed as. At the moment it is disabled on the log book, tail lift and anchor points have been removed and 3 seats fitted in the back. The van has got windows down both sides. Which must make it very close to being a Kombi or estate car. I dont mind paying for a permit for the tip if I have to, but I have contributed enough in taxes to Dover council. At the Dover tip now they charge you £7 per sheets worth of Gyproc which is about the same price of a new sheet. This can be recycled so as said above someone is making a lot of money out of this. Rubble is charged by weight. Some of the guys are pretty good and loose count on how much you have put in the bin. Still by appointment, I think you can have 2 slots a month, neighbor thought he was being clever by booking his slots in different peoples names but he got pulled for going in the same car all the time. What are people paying for permits? Baz
Gov.uk is the only reliable reference.
Any vehicle road tax licence remains the same as it was first registered regardless of changes to the vehicle.

It changes if it has been registered as disabled. If you buy a vehicle that was registered as disabled for road tax it reverts to the original - you cannot get away with paying zero rate road tax for the life of the vehicle.o_O
As to what the original ( Could be disabled from new) was that OP should class it as when he sends the log book off there is no guidance from the DVLA as usual. ( Been there before!) Put in what you think it should be, they will soon reject it if there is a full stop missing.:)

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
My local tip (North Lincs) don't raise an eyebrow when I turn up in mine, though it is Motor Caravan registered. Treated as a car, no charge unless ceramics.

Back