Engine Management Light - VW van centre not available until end July!

interbear

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So our Engine Management amber light came on yesterday. Didn’t appear to impact the drive. Not yet anyway. Van is a 2022 T6.1 Highline 150 DSG with only 5.5k miles on the clock. I called the closest VW van centre - Heritage Bristol - as I’ve set up a service plan via them and the van is under warranty anyway of course. I was advised that I should try to avoid driving the van unless necessary but that they couldn’t book it in until the end of July! Their advice was to call VW roadside assistance so that they could diagnose it and advise next steps. So, couple of queries for the more experienced VW van owners:

Is it OK to drive with this amber warning light on? The info on the VW website suggests that it should be checked out asap. I don’t consider end of July to be asap!

Any recommended van centres south Wales / south west? Closest is Heritage Bristol, next closest is Sinclair Cardiff who I intend to call later today. If Cardiff’s availability is anything like Bristol I’ll call VW roadside assistance as advised.

I’m assuming I need to use a VW van centre as it’s under warranty, is that correct?

Thanks folks.

You’re going to get lots of different warning lights come on in the life of owning your van, worth investing in a carista or similar reader and get your own fault codes to help diagnose issues

"Their advice was to call VW roadside assistance so that they could diagnose it and advise next steps."

Yes, which I intend to do, as advised, if I can’t book it into a VW van centre this week to be looked at. I’d have thought the latter would be more appropriate than automatically defaulting to roadside assistance.

You’re going to get lots of different warning lights come on in the life of owning your van, worth investing in a carista or similar reader and get your own fault codes to help diagnose issues

No idea what that is but I will go and do some google research to find out! Thanks.

So our Engine Management amber light came on yesterday. Didn’t appear to impact the drive. Not yet anyway. Van is a 2022 T6.1 Highline 150 DSG with only 5.5k miles on the clock. I called the closest VW van centre - Heritage Bristol - as I’ve set up a service plan via them and the van is under warranty anyway of course. I was advised that I should try to avoid driving the van unless necessary but that they couldn’t book it in until the end of July! Their advice was to call VW roadside assistance so that they could diagnose it and advise next steps. So, couple of queries for the more experienced VW van owners:

Is it OK to drive with this amber warning light on? The info on the VW website suggests that it should be checked out asap. I don’t consider end of July to be asap!

Any recommended van centres south Wales / south west? Closest is Heritage Bristol, next closest is Sinclair Cardiff who I intend to call later today. If Cardiff’s availability is anything like Bristol I’ll call VW roadside assistance as advised.

I’m assuming I need to use a VW van centre as it’s under warranty, is that correct?

Thanks folks.
Exactly the Same here. New to me t6. First decent run and light came on. Seem to coincide with fuel warning light.
an extended warranty came with vehicle but can’t use as in process of transfer to my name (3 weeks and counting). 3 east mid van ctrs quoting end june. As others have said i have a code reader. The amber engine shaped light generally relates to exhaust gas issue. As the van was driving fine i cleared to code (exhaust gas NOx sensor) and touching the proverbial wood it hasn’t returned. Put it down to a blip at this stage.

On a similar note i have MOTs included in plan. Due end May. Can’t get me in until end june. So service plan almost worthless as only includes engine oil and filters anyway.

First decent motor i have owned and previously done most of own mechanics.

Experience of VW up to now not very positive

Going to my local MOT station as no option if want to keep van on the road. VW not interested and won’t accept a counter charge. I would say a months notice for booking a MOT is reasonable

Think VW must be short of staff.

Incorrect, phone VW roadside, they have clout to get the van booked into a dealer quicker if necessary.

I followed your advice. Called VW Assist this morning, they (AA) just visited. Good response I have to say.

Diagnosed as a AdBlue sensor fault warning. AdBlue had capacity for another 6,500 miles according to the dash display so I was clearly not thinking this would be related. Anyway, some AA computer magic and the sensor was reset and the Engine Management warning light is no longer on. I added another 5L bottle of AdBlue to be sure. Quite amazing how big the tank is for that stuff.

Engine management warning light reappeared today.

Despite adding 5L of AdBlue earlier in the week the dash display is showing that the van has 6,500 miles of AdBlue miles remaining. Exactly the same number it showed before adding the 5L. Perhaps the AdBlue sensor is indeed faulty?

Engine management warning light reappeared today.

Despite adding 5L of AdBlue earlier in the week the dash display is showing that the van has 6,500 miles of AdBlue miles remaining. Exactly the same number it showed before adding the 5L. Perhaps the AdBlue sensor is indeed faulty?
6500 miles is the max it can display.

OK. I had no idea that was the case, thanks for educating me.

Still perplexed at the warning light though. Will keep an eye on it and see if the drive is actually impacted.

Some further research on these forums tells me that this was the case for the T6, but the AdBlue tank for the T6.1 was increased in capacity from 13 to 22 litres and I’ve seen some examples of the AdBlue range as high as 18,000. I’ll add another 5L and see what results from that.

Some further research on these forums tells me that this was the case for the T6, but the AdBlue tank for the T6.1 was increased in capacity from 13 to 22 litres and I’ve seen some examples of the AdBlue range as high as 18,000. I’ll add another 5L and see what results from that.
interesting as hadn't heard this and it sure isn't the case on my December 2020 T6.1

Is VW now using NHS GPs tactics of telling you to use pharmacies to diagnose your ailments….? End of July for an appointment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hello, I have just joined the forum to look at the same issue. The same warning light came on for me the 3rd day after purchasing my 2nd hand van. (2019)

I messaged the dealership I bought it from and was told “it just needs a hard drive to clear it out”… i had just driven 240miles. I used cruise control for the motorways (unsure if this has something to do with it).
I am waiting for an appointment to take it back to where i bought it to get checked out.

Im considering buying a diagnostic tool too.

My Adblue is currently sitting at 2500miles.

I continued driving the van another 500+miles as I was traveling the south west uk I had no bother but I was defo taking a risk.

Just thought I would share that I have the same issue so that i can update once I figure out whats going on.

☺️

A484F74F-DE7D-4764-A78F-FEEAEB89B433.jpeg

Im considering buying a diagnostic tool too.
You absolutely should. Forewarned is forearmed. Get the fault codes and record them then take it back to the dealer. Keep it to yourself that you have the fault codes then you can determine if the dealer is just trying to fob you off or are being genuine once they take a look.
Those texts you posted have set the alarm bells off for me with them saying 'dont stress' like it's nothing to worry about without them running any diag first to determine if it's serious or not. Good luck.

Back