Engine management & flashing coil warnings?

Snapshot

Please can anyone help/advise. Just purchased a 2016 Highline 2.0TDi (68k FSH) from a dealer who has converted it to a camper. Drove back from Coventry no problem, but 1 day in and going a nearby steep hill the flashing coil light came on followed by amber engine management light. Engine really lumpy, but managed to get us home, but seemed as tho running on 3 cylinders. Before setting off I rang the dealer who advised trying a re-gen even though I didn't think this was the problem. In the garage the next day and they traced the fault to a faulty injector. Luckily under warranty and £609 later the work was done and van driving lovely - hurrah! Unfortunately, 2 days later driving up the SAME hill again, and the flashing coil light and engine management light comes back on, but van appears fine with no loss of power. Worried now I've bought a crappy van which may give me loads of future problems. I need to take back to the garage who changed the injector and speak to the dealer to see where we go from here - It has been re-mapped, could this be the issue, my garage says unlikely - any advice really appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the dealer honoured the warranty claim for any engine work if its been mapped? (engine maps/ flashing are logged in the ECM/ECU)

what engine? and what map?

and as @Niknak mentioned a VCDS code scan is the only way to tell what the logged faults are.

Reactions: mmi
I'm surprised the dealer honoured the warranty claim for any engine work if its been mapped? (engine maps/ flashing are logged in the ECM/ECU)

and as @Niknak mentioned a VCDS code scan is the only way to tell what the logged faults are.
Thanks for the reply Dellmassive. the standard van was 102, but the dealer remapped it to 150 as part of the conversion. I don't know who the company was that was used - but will find out together with the code. Just thought it strange it should happen up a hill within days of having it.

dealer / mapped / conversion - ?

what dealer was this? - not a VW CV dealer?

are we talking about a 3rd party converter?

Hi Pete, yes it does. It's just had a full service & MOT

OK, definitely Euro6 then. Some engine tuners don‘t provide a map for that engine due to turbo issues. I’m not saying that’s an issue with your engine, but something to be aware of.
As above, a VCDS scan is needed.

Pete

Thats interesting.. thanks . I will get codes on Tuesday. If the map is removed does the standard map need to be reinstalled by VW do you know?

Plenty of converters buying 102’s relatively cheap and converting for maximum profit.

I'm sure there is DXX, but this isn't helping answer my question. Are you saying 102's are not the engine to have?

I'm sure there is DXX, but this isn't helping answer my question. Are you saying 102's are not the engine to have?

Nothing wrong with the 102 engine (I have one) but if a major tuning company does not offer a product for the Euro6 engine then there must be a reason.
I understand that a map can be returned to standard - speak to whoever did the original change.

Pete

Would be good to get a vcds read out first if possible
I forgot I had a cheap EDIAG 0BD11 code reader and have found the following code from that: It's a P0088 error code saying Fuel Rail/System Pressure too high and the end part of the error says : Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 control circuit.

I forgot I had a cheap EDIAG 0BD11 code reader and have found the following code from that: It's a P0088 error code saying Fuel Rail/System Pressure too high and the end part of the error says : Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 control circuit.

Went to start this morning and running rough, and glow plug light still flashing & EML still on. In garage tomorrow and suspect that the pro coder will pick up same errors, thinking could be related to remap then as well?

I thought it was common knowledge to avoid mapping 102’s. Any converter will know this.
An easy way for a converter to increase their profit.

Back