EGR Sensor 'A' (EGR Sensor '1')

Gordycol

VIP Member
Hi there from not-so sunny Cornwall atm.
Can any of you good people shed the light on this, I have seen it mentioned on previous posts but it never seems to get answered:
I have a fault code P046C00 EGR SENSOR 'A" (1) My van It is not in limp mode and seems to be driving fine but can anyone just tell me where to find this sensor please so I can check the wiring etc?
2017 (67) 2.0 TDi Engine CXGB 75kw
A photo with a pointy thing would be great but absolutely any help would be really appreciated
Many thanks

possibly EGR cooler needs flushing / replacing.

are you getting insufficient flow codes?

go any pics?

Thanks for the reply, yes the egr has been flushed and is like a new pin inside (45k miles) it’s just that I know where the other sensors are on it (2&3 or B&C) but I just don’t know what Sensor ‘A’ or ‘1’ refers to? No one seems to know - tis very elusive!! I’ll try and get some pics sorted anyway and get back

Is there a simple cleaning solution to this or am i looking at a new egr?:eek:
Will look at thread:thumbsup:

Flushing with varying results and longevity is common, just search the forum. Typically it’s made as a response to insufficient flow code though.

I think what happens is that first EGR valve fails to close completely. Then, especially during regens moist sooty exhaust gets through EGR cooler as the valve does not stop the flow as it should. The sooty exhaust eventually ends up clogging the cooler which then leads to insufficient flow code.

There is not, as far as I know, conclusive evidence on when exactly EGR should be changed or if a flush could help. But as the problems have started they’re just not going to go away either.

Last edited:
Hi there again, thank you all for all of the info, I have found out that EGR Sensor 1 (or A) refers to the EGR Valve itself as n10n rightly said. I unplugged it from the top, rechecked and it came back with EGR Sensor 1 connection problem. As in LambethBoy's diag it looks like I'll have to try and free up my valve. seems incredible at only 45k but it is what it is.
Thank you

Hi there again, thank you all for all of the info, I have found out that EGR Sensor 1 (or A) refers to the EGR Valve itself as n10n rightly said. I unplugged it from the top, rechecked and it came back with EGR Sensor 1 connection problem. As in LambethBoy's diag it looks like I'll have to try and free up my valve. seems incredible at only 45k but it is what it is.
Thank you
I've had this fault for more than 20k km so far I haven't noticed anything strange. There are 3 options, change the valve, clean it, or leave it until something doesn't work correctly.
The problem. Cleaning takes as much time as changing it, and if you clean it and it still goes wrong. Well, you have to spend time on labor. Again.

I've had this fault for more than 20k km so far I haven't noticed anything strange. There are 3 options, change the valve, clean it, or leave it until something doesn't work correctly.
The problem. Cleaning takes as much time as changing it, and if you clean it and it still goes wrong. Well, you have to spend time on labor. Again.
Ahh Ok, is it the same symptoms? Mine is showing a steady amber EM light and a flashing glow plug symbol which is impossible to clear, the annoying thing is it is driving superb with absolutely no issues. If it wasn't for the MOT I'd be happy leaving it for a bit. I've bitten the bullet now and bought a new EGR from VW, I'm halfway through fitting it (absolute PIG!!) I'll let you know how it goes, tbh I'm not holding out much hope tbf

Have found this on another thread,
Apparently... "According to VW TSB/TPI fault code P046C alone and no emission light on dash means no repair is needed."
I think the answer is within your freeze frame - EGR valve specified value differs from it’s actual value. Probably means the valve is sticking at least partially.

See thread EGR Valve Self Test Procedure (IDE00242)- P046C?

View attachment 231037

Back