EGR fault

Ray T6

I have a 2016 T6 that I have had a nearly a year. It had the EGR previously replaced at 18000 miles by VW and is now just turned 40,000 and getting a high coolant loss 100ml in 12miles. Taken it to VW garage who said there is a massive internal coolant leak with the EGR and it needs replacing. I will go ahead and get this done but I am concerned what caused it? Could it just be the EGR Cooler didn't last long or might there be another fault causing it to fail?
Any ideas why it might be full of coolant and failed?

I’ve stripped and cleaned an EGR valve / cooler from a 102, I didn’t see any reason why the cooler is susceptible to leakage. It’s a fairly well made round tube cooler unlike the unit used on a 204.
You don’t mention how many years since the last replacement but with just 22K miles service it’s worth going back to VW and attempt a warranty repair. Keep records, preferably emails and don’t give in.

Thanks for the idea, mine a 2016 model and VW customer services told me the EGR was changed in 2017 (Otherwise I wouldn't have know) at 18,000 miles so although not done many miles since, it was over 5 years ago so I think they're unlikely to cover it but I will ask. Yes keeping all records of any work done thanks.

that's very low mileage per year . .

did it have the correct antifreeze ( pink colour?)

just wondering about internal corrosion from sitting about?

that's very low mileage per year . .

did it have the correct antifreeze ( pink colour?)

just wondering about internal corrosion from sitting about?
Yes first owner racked the mileage up to 18,000 then its just been a leisure vehicle since then and with Covid not used much. I bought the van in March 2022 and again its a leisure vehicle so I've only done 4000 miles in the last 10 months. VW have checked the coolant which all seems to be OK and yes Pink colour. G13 I believe.
I guess I'll only find out if its something else causing it once the EGR cooler is changed, hopefully that will sort it, if not I guess its then going to be further investigations

They can pressure test it and remove the front EGR pipe and see if it's full of coolant. Or as this guy does, run it with the pipe removed..
Nice vid.

A supprising amount of coolant comes out.

Hi Guys
I need an EGR valve replacement, quick question....when they say EGR valve replacement do they mean the entire assembly? I am reading various things about EGR valve and then separately about EGR Cooler. Is it one unit? so that when they do the job it is both valve and cooler that are fixed?

good to know thanks, hopefully it will sort out the issues I've been having

Back