Edge

Hi all

I have recently finished soundproofing and insulating my kombi, which is used mainly for dogs and bikes.
I opted to fit the sound deadening on the inside of the wheel arches. I would now like to cover the arches with carpet to hide and protect the sound deadening. I just want the carpet to cover the arch and leave the surrounding frame work at this stage. What recommendations do you have for finishing the edge of the carpet. I see photos where people have fully carpeted but used different colours for the arches and the frame work but no close ups of the join / edges.

Like you my comb is mainly for bikes and dogs and I only carpeted the arches (after insulating like you) and the panels, leaving the steelwork exposed. Quite like the effect of the grey carpet and blackberry framing. I just cut the carpet off around the floor and where the arch meets the frame with no finishing. Its not perfect but (I shall probably get lynched for this) its only a van so is never pristine inside anyway

I am thinking of doing the panels too but they look easy and should have no exposed edges unlike the arches will have.
Not sure if glue will keep the edge down or whether it would be better to use a "u" profile silicon rubber glued around the top of the arch to tuck the carpet edge into.

All done for now! Sound proofing and insulation (from sound deadening shop, silent coat & dodo insulation), panels and arches carpet lined (Harrison trim, carpet, glue and clips). I was concerned about how to finish the carpet edge at the wheel arch but cut right at the edge of the arch flange gave a tidy enough finish. The roof panels covered in headliner, (megavanmat, headliner). Headlining is visually very very close match to the original cab headlining, just a slight difference to touch. I used foil tape to cover the original panel vent holes and I added extensions so the voids behind the jack were covered over. Just a small question in my mind as to why VW don't extent the side panels down over these voids and why there is a need for vent holes, is there a moisture issue down in the rear corners? Anyway I can't believe the difference in noise, gone from sitting inside a bass drum to saloon car quality, much more comfortable . Just been reading posts about dust seals so these might be next.
IMG_0062.JPG

Back