Easy non tech tyre q

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Hi Peeps,
Newbie alert:p

Dont worry, Im not going to ask which tyres, which rims etc

Im just after opinions on size wheels please.

New T6, T28 campervan conversion.

Inthink that larger wheels look the part and I wont be keeping the standard rims or lowering etc, so how well do the larger tyres actually ride, I mean comparing 17" 18" and 20".

The dealers I've been to each prefer the size wheels that just happen to be on the ride they are trying to sell me.

Do the 20" wheels give a smooth ride? Do they cause any issues with road noise, tracking lines etc. Or do I compromise?

Thanks guys

Opinions welcomed.

I'll chime in here.

I had the oem 16s, then 20s with 275/35/20 and staggered 19s with 245/45/19 & 275/40/19. The 3sdm 19s were 6kg lighter than the abt cr20s. 11kg on the 19s vs 17kg on the 20s before tyre weight.

In no way have I ever found the ride harsh or uncomfortable, tyres size is key, plus don't go cheap with tyres. Which one is best.....

Well I put the 20s back on after using the 19s and it was a night and very early morning difference. The 20s ride so much better.
The 275 front tyres are really grippy, stability is excellent and hold the weight of the van well, I got understeer on the 245/45. Same make model tyres on the 19s and 20s btw.
The heavier 20s soak up the bumps much better and because they are heavier the suspension reacts a tad slower meaning it glides over the uneven surface for a more comfortable ride. The 19s were more bouncy in comparison and more reactive.
Acceleration is a tad slower of course on the heavier wheels, the 275/35 do offer more feel of the road compared to the 19s so you know how old or new the road surface is, the 19s didn't so in that since the 19s were better here if you don't like road feel. I'd take the ride quality of 19s or 20s over the 16s I had anyday, the drive is more enjoyable if you like it spirited.
However I'm on Billy b14s and they make a huge difference too.

So a heavy vehicle the heavier bigger wheels suits me well, that's back to back testing on my van, same roads etc.

The car is a different story. 17x9 weighing in a 7kg. Full performance lightness.

Thanks for the good advice Yell H / Ratty
(no relation eh.. :laugh: )
I think it'll obviously come down to personal preference, but I'm secretly hoping that the 20s cope with the road surface and are not too... fidgety, if thats the right word.

Test drive coming up. :mexican wave:

Today I test drive a T6 with 20'" wheels. I found that they were not too noisey nor tracked white lines etc as I had heard.
I did notice that they felt a little less precise than I expected, but nothing that you couldnt easily get used to.

So......20" wheels it is.

ETA 1 month, so thanks for your help.

:D :D
Yeaaah

Back