Easiest method of debadging?

Hey everyone, what's the easiest/safest way to remove Transporter and TDI badges. Is it simply heating them with a heater/hairdryer and using fishing line or something similar. And what's best for getting rid of the left over adhesive. Cheers!

Yep, as you say .

Then try a go with WD40.

Then try with break cleaner to remove the left over gum.

I took mine off from day one.

But be warned that if the badges have been on for a long time the paint will have changed slightly, so you have have a ghost image of the badges, where the original paint hasn't been exposed to the sun and elements.

It's more pronounced on metallic or base colours that have been bleached by the sun.

Last edited:
How did you get on ? We want to get rid of the ‘transporter’ on the back and also replace chrome badge with a black one … I don’t want to let rip on it lol ….. it’s 2020 so hope no ghosting ! What did you use in the end?

I used 50lb fishing line to saw through the glue, transporter came of easy, the VW badge took a bit longer, Iso Alcohol got the residue off.

black vw.jpg

How did you get on ? We want to get rid of the ‘transporter’ on the back and also replace chrome badge with a black one … I don’t want to let rip on it lol ….. it’s 2020 so hope no ghosting ! What did you use in the end?
I got mine off on a warm day, don't have much patience for this kind of thing so the sun was sufficient to heat the badges and nylon fishing line like a knife through butter. Some of the letters are not very well secured anyway i found. Ghosting is real and not something i really thought about until someone mentioned in a reply here. I can live with it for the moment as i'm considering a respray possibly. My van is black 2018 and i was a bit surprised a van of this age had the ghosting but it is what it is.

I got mine off on a warm day, don't have much patience for this kind of thing so the sun was sufficient to heat the badges and nylon fishing line like a knife through butter. Some of the letters are not very well secured anyway i found. Ghosting is real and not something i really thought about until someone mentioned in a reply here. I can live with it for the moment as i'm considering a respray possibly. My van is black 2018 and i was a bit surprised a van of this age had the ghosting but it is what it is.
Surely the Ghosting would come off with a suitable polishing compound. Megs 205 Should do the trick

If you want to do it correctly, megs 105 first and then use 205 to finish. You can use this method with most minor blemishes too. Handy to have for any paint marks or marring.
You can use by hand for small areas or machine if you want to do larger areas. If machining I’d recommend a dual action for the beginner as they are less aggressive that a rotary. I hope this helps

Back