Driving Abroad (especially After Brexit)

Ads_Essex

Local lowlife
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Lifted from the Gov.uk website:

Driving in the EU and EEA from
29 March 2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips.
Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving licence to drive when visiting EU and EEA countries.

Each EU and EEA country will decide if they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driving licence, to legally drive in their country.

In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal or any other relevant agreement, you may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Sweden

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may need a 1949 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

Cyprus
Iceland
Malta
Spain

Ireland has ratified the 1949 road traffic convention but does not require foreign drivers to carry an IDP in addition to their driving licence. As such, if you hold a UK driving licence you will not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from 29 March 2019.

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may need a 1926 IDP to drive in Liechtenstein.

How to get an IDP
You can get 1926, 1949 and 1968 IDPs over the counter from 2,500 UK post offices.

Each IDP will cost £5.50.

Published 14 January 2019
Last updated 1 February 2019

Also don’t forget the E111 health card will be invalid.

So you’ll need to sort out Private medical care cover.

Plus, most insurance companies green card will revert to 3rd party cover only, again we’ll need to buy further cover for our trips over the channel.

Been wondering about this, will be driving in Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland in July/August.

And if your taking a pet it's even worse.

Very true. My neighbours have property in France and have had to go this weekend as they always take the dog. There are no provisions for pet passports after the 29th as yet I believe.

Yep, my brother has just gone and the vets told him in his opinion not to travel atm. Ended up having blood tests done but as everyone is doing the same thing there are massive delays getting the results back.

hadn't thought about pets being affected, I was hoping to deliver one of my cocker puppies to a lady in belguim en route but may need to re think.

hadn't thought about pets being affected, I was hoping to deliver one of my cocker puppies to a lady in belguim en route but may need to re think.

Think you've missed the boat for May. Don't quote me but with no deal the dog needs rabies vaccine 4 months before then bloods tests which takes around 5 to 6 weeks then you only have a small window to travel providing the blood results are ok. Best speak with your vet. Hopefully the MP's will come to there senses and sort something out.

I wouldn't worry, its not going to happen :rofl:

Hopefully, this will be the case or at least a delay whilst everything is sorted.

We are going away this Easter to France and wanted to take the dog. I’ve sorted the green card for the van, this thread made me aware of the IDP which I will apply for but didn’t realise the issue with the dog.

We’ve just applied for her passport which we will collect next week and (wrongly) assumed that this is all we would need together with the worming evidence on return. Now if it’s blood tests and the delays related to them we can’t take her.

If there is a deal in time hopefully sense will prevail or if there is a delay this will remain as they are now which means she can come.

Think you've missed the boat for May. Don't quote me but with no deal the dog needs rabies vaccine 4 months before then bloods tests which takes around 5 to 6 weeks then you only have a small window to travel providing the blood results are ok. Best speak with your vet. Hopefully the MP's will come to there senses and sort something out.
end of July is when I'm going so hopefully know more before then, puppies are only 10 days just now. Its strange I have two puppies that have gone to the USA and its an absolute doddle, just need all their jags/rabies and a letter from vet confirming they are fit and well to travel and off they go - no pet passport etc, I was surprised how simple it was. Suppose its easier as they are not coming back to the UK.

Back