Driveway Parking For Van

Taff7996

T6 Pro
I had my driveway block paved not long ago, yes it did look very nice at first but i am now getting groves in it where i drive my van over it and a dip where the van is parked

I need to get it replaced, so I'm looking for recommendations, what has everyone got and how does it fair with the weight of the van

I think that this kind of issue is simply down to who ever laid the drive, and the fact they might not of used deep enough footings. My Mother in-law had this problem with her Motorhome on their block paved driveway, so they got a decent driveway company to look and found the footings were pathetic. They've since had it re-done properly with the Motorhome weighed around 3.5t, and it never sunk afterwards.

My van runs quite heavy most of the time and I also have block paving. Been parking in the same spot for 3 years and have no problem. I would say the problem is with the way the paving has been done (ie not enough hard core laid or not compacted properly).

Reactions: JOG
I would say that you don't need to replace it... but add more sharp sand to build it back up.. where it has been compressed from vehicles... its a common problem for drives like this.

Try and remove a block, then whilst numbering them(if not uniform) lift and place them to one side.. add a layer of sharp sand in the area that is enough to raise the block back level.. if that makes sense??

As tourershine says it’s down to how much has been dug out initially, if it hasn’t been dug out enough then this reduces the amount of hardcore which is your main problem, you should only use a max of 50mm sharp sand to lay your blocks, adding more will not solve the problem long term, it will compress as it already has done.

Our driveway is covered in pea gravel, which hides a drain cover.

Don't ever make the mistake that I did, and try manoeuvring your van over it to create space for another vehicle. There was an almighty bang, and the van lurched. I thought I had hit the house at first, then looked at the offside front wheel, and realised my problem - it had dropped about 6 inches into the hole left by a cracked cast iron drain cover (probably original to the house so at least 60 years old).
The only reason the van had not dropped the wheel fully into the hole was because there was a piece of tough fabric over the top of the drain cover, to stop the stones sliding everywhere, and this was somehow holding things up. We managed to push and gently reverse the van back off the cover/hole (aren't neighbours great), but the van was now stranded, as it couldn't go any further back (small drive), and had to go forward over the drain. Lots of bits of wood later, I tentatively drove the van over the temporary drain cover, and got it out.

We now have a new drain cover rated at 5 tonnes, but I don't put a car or van anywhere near it.

Back to the OP question - I think you will need to get the drive re-laid to sort it properly.

Pete

Foundations where only rubble, i did queried this at time but was told, wrongly, that it was sufficient. Need to get it all lifted and good foundations Builder that did the work didn't reply to any on my phone calls or registered letters, got Trading standards involved and he just closed down his business and moved.

Completely agree with many of the above comments; the issue is the depth of substrate being used. Whoever laid the blocks have scrimped on the amount of hardcore. I had the same issue on an old driveway and that only had a car on it.

Before you start new work on your drive it might be worth checking if the guy you used was a Marshall approved contractor or any other approved contractor as you may have a guarantee on the workmanship. Worth checking. Good luck

EA7A8015-2BCF-4D5A-BE56-9B6018552F64.jpeg

Foundations where only rubble, i did queried this at time but was told, wrongly, that it was sufficient. Need to get it all lifted and good foundations Builder that did the work didn't reply to any on my phone calls or registered letters, got Trading standards involved and he just closed down his business and moved.
Typical!

Resin Bound Gravel, over open pore tarmac, over a good depth of dolomite hardcore on top of landscaping fabric to stop any migration into the clay soil we have around here.
No sinking in 4 years since it was put down, and water just drains straight through it.
I did have to watch the sub contractors like a hawk though, as a few times they showed signs of cutting corners over the spec that was agreed with the head honcho.

DSCF0060.JPG

They did some really stupid shit like this..
DSCF0025.JPG
and this
DSCF0023.JPG
which had to be corrected before they laid any of the driveway surfaces.
I don't have OCD but they were taking the piss. Who thought that that was acceptable?

Looks good. Did you put down anything before the white non woven layer?
Hi ...depends on the sub soil ...but we put 75mm of 40mm MOT and used a Wacker plate..

edit ..We came across an over spill car park in the Lakes using this stuff.....That’s an idea i thought :)

Last edited:
I need to lift my block paving as its sunk a bit in the wheel tracks. Need to decide of to put blocks back down or something else.

Back