Driveaway Awning

gixxerjim

I know there are lots of threads on which driveaway awning but searching them I dont seem to be able to get an answer from them.

basically we currently have a large tent when going camping, so looking at changing to an anwning.

I am going to get one with an inner tent, so get that wil be simialr to our current tent setup, but the rest of the awning - they seem to have just the outer tent, so if you put a tarpaulin down how does it not run off the awning onto the tarp and into the living area,

also does the wind get under gap at the boottom of the awning and make the inside windy/cold?

I've put a screenshot to try and make the above make sense

thanks in advance jim

awning.png

@gixxerjim I think it all depends on what awning you go for. I note that the picture you have provided is an OR unit. Well I have an OR Movelite T4, and that has a built in ground sheet so it’s no different than a tent, it’s all sealed up. Where you pass between the awning and the van, when you unzip the awning side door the groundsheet remains ‘up’ so that nothing can run in to the awning.

Most drive away awnings consist of a tented area, usually complete with a bathtub style groundsheet sewn in, and a tunnel section that you attach to the van - this section does not usually have a groundsheet. The tented area usually has a door that can be zipped up in a similar way to how you close your tent up now, to separate it from the more open tunnel section.

right thanks guys, I see now I just need to get one with a sewn in groundsheet for the main area, thanks for the replies

AF8F8D68-7393-4243-8B82-A1DA9C30027F.jpeg Have a look at the Vango Airaway ones. We have a airaway Galli low, tent area with integral groundsheet. We also put a footprint tarp down first.

Back